Damaged rim claims from potholes?

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
I just nailed a 12 inch long, 3-4 inch deep pothole. It bent the hell out of my rim. I was traveling below the speed limit on a public road... Anyone have any experience with claiming the damage through the city? If you do let me know how it worked out, and what is the process... Thank you. :mj:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i dunno but i hope you can get some reparations for damages. i am really getting sick with the current road conditions i travel on daily, and the city's half-assed fixes (ie just filling the hole/crack)

canibus

Established Member
did you damage the stockers or aftermarket. they'll probably fix the pothole, but you're probably on your own as far as the rim is concerned

mighty be worthy of finding some people in your area that have had the same thing happen to them, and get a class action lawsuit started against the city, county, or state (whichever applies) and sue them for failure to maintain or something like that.

TexRob

Established Member
Good luck getting any Government agency to pay for Damages like that,My dad Hit a Manhole cover that was not properly installed,it blew out his Right front Tire,jacked up the Rim,The City of Pasadena told him to pound Sand!

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
They are responsible for maintaining the roads but not for damage done to your vehicle.

That seems like an oxymoron to me..

I know you CAN get reimbursed $$ for damages done to rims/tires in the event that his happens. Just wanted to learn about the process..

Im sure laws vary state to state also.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Good luck. Same thing happened to my friends audi a4. township told him basically TS

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
If your car is lowered, or anything like that Im sure they will tell you, "who drives a car that is cm from the ground? What did you think would happen". Some crap like that. If it was an apt complex or something like that I think you would have a better chance. No offese whatsover but I think you will have a hard time getting the city to pay for new rims. Unless it was videotaped hitting the pothole from hell they will think you are trying to screw them. Just one of the problems with having a good looking car. sorry to hear about what happened good luck.

SVT_Gixxer1000

Crazy Canadian
Established Member
I just nailed a 12 inch long, 3-4 inch deep pothole. It bent the hell out of my rim. I was traveling below the speed limit on a public road... Anyone have any experience with claiming the damage through the city? If you do let me know how it worked out, and what is the process... Thank you. :mj:

There going to tell you to pound sand.

Unless you hire a Lawyer, and they know your not going to do that because the retainer you got to put up will probley buy you 2 rims even before he picks the phone up or writes a letter.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
That seems like an oxymoron to me..

I know you CAN get reimbursed $$ for damages done to rims/tires in the event that his happens. Just wanted to learn about the process..

Im sure laws vary state to state also.

It is possible, if the city was negligent. If this particular pot hole was reported to the city and they failed to repair it.

A couple of years ago there was a law firm in NYC that had a person on their payroll who documented cracks in city sidewalks and dangerous situations. They would report them in exacting detail to the City. This would allow them to file a claim for a client if they happen to be injured by the same previously reported unfixed problem area.

Users who are viewing this thread