Damaged Heads Question

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
I came across IronHands thread in the Cobra/Engine marketplace looking for damaged C heads and it got me thinking about a pair I have sitting in storage right now. I'm wondering if the experts could chime in and tell me if these things are salvageable? can a machine shop weld and resurface them?

I was told when I got them that they were in a cobra that overheated and they appear to have a good amount of pitting along the combustion chamber edges. My plan was to use them in a N/A (college kid poor) budget build but those plans have long since changed.

Here is a picture of the damage. I know it's hard to see and I'm working on getting better shots but I'm not the one taking the photo's right now. Problem areas in yellow.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Ironhand

Banned
I would say those are salvagable. The head can be resurfaced and the combustion chamber could be enlarged. But then you would have to do all the combustion chambers.

Quick Strike

Established Member
You can have those welded up and then surfaced. I did that with mine. It only required a .003" surface clean up.

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
I've got another broken part that I'm curious about...
Teksid Block with a corner missing (click the pic for HUGE photo)

I know it's hard to tell what you're looking at so here's another pic for reference
teksidreferenceblock.jpg

Is this thing trash or what?

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
I would say those are salvagable. The head can be resurfaced and the combustion chamber could be enlarged. But then you would have to do all the combustion chambers.

Thanks. I guess that means these aren't any help to you though. I do appreciate the help and good luck finding the parts :beer:

You can have those welded up and then surfaced. I did that with mine. It only required a .003" surface clean up.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I think you could buy another used block cheaper then it would cost to have that one repaired. Aluminum is forgiving, but it would need some work to get it right.

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
I think you could buy another used block cheaper then it would cost to have that one repaired. Aluminum is forgiving, but it would need some work to get it right.

That's what I figured. I think at this point I'll take it to the scrap yard. 80 lbs of aluminum should be worth something.
Or I could make a coffee table out of it...

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Man if I lived close, I'd work on that block just for the hell of it. I love tinkering with things. It would be a shame to have it brought to a scrap yard though.

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
Man if I lived close, I'd work on that block just for the hell of it. I love tinkering with things. It would be a shame to have it brought to a scrap yard though.

I really don't want to scrap it but It needs to go. I'll try to find someone who wants it locally. It really would make a nice coffee table.

Users who are viewing this thread