Damaged head! Need advice!

RedHotSnake

Established Member
I blew a spark plug on my way back to work which damaged the threads in the head. I don't know if I should invest the $$ to repair it , or start looking for a replacement vehicle. I haven't had any issues with my car since I purchased it new. The money needed to repair my Cobra could be used for a down payment on a newer vehicle. I'm leaning toward fixing the problem, but I hope this isn't the start of something that never ends with the costly repairs...

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I blew a spark plug on my way back to work which damaged the threads in the head. I don't know if I should invest the $$ to repair it , or start looking for a replacement vehicle. I haven't had any issues with my car since I purchased it new. The money needed to repair my Cobra could be used for a down payment on a newer vehicle. I'm leaning toward fixing the problem, but I hope this isn't the start of something that never ends with the costly repairs...

Easy, fix it. Even if you intend on selling you will make more fixing it (even if you have a shop install a new head) and selling a 100% running car than a non running car that needs engine work.

As far as fixing it. Plenty of folks on hear have ejected plugs and several have repaired it without removing the head, shouldn't be to bad.

RedHotSnake

Established Member
Easy, fix it. Even if you intend on selling you will make more fixing it (even if you have a shop install a new head) and selling a 100% running car than a non running car that needs engine work.

As far as fixing it. Plenty of folks on hear have ejected plugs and several have repaired it without removing the head, shouldn't be to bad.

I was told that I need a new head because there's no way to repair the plug threads:rollseyes

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
There are no less than 3 options to repair it

Helicoil
Timecert
Lock and stitch

Regardless of choice make absolutely sure an aluminum insert is used. Make sure the other plugs are properly torqued and check them from time to time and you should be fine

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would look into the lock and stitch..

Your join date is 2004 with 30 something post..

if you havent been on and reading alot has happened..

there was a member who just did this recently..

he posted up a how to with it with head in car..

this site has slowed down alot where you might be able to just search back page by page to find it..

these cars have held a good value and is worth the time and cash to fix

Users who are viewing this thread