Daily driving welds

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
I was looking around and see mostly track setups with skinnies up front.

I was looking to going to a smaller rear tire, but didn't want to go through a skinny upfront setup, but wanted to get a larger rear sidewall. Has anyone run 20/18 setup with the rear being around a 1" difference in tire height, as a daily?

Curious about traction and the ability to drive around. Not running slicks either -

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I didn't do it as a daily, but did run 20" front / 18" rear setup with almost a 1" taller rear. It drove like normal.

I coming off of a 20" / 15" combo at it drove well too. This setup had identical height tires.

Last edited:

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
The tire height is my concern... not a true DD, but not a track setup --

Surprised you never pm'd me back from the other day though... lol

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I replied to a thread you started and attempted to explain, but never heard back. Let me know when you get your IN box cleared and I'll respond.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've driven with the stock 19/20s up front and 18" Racestar rears, tire height slightly taller in rear with no issues.
19/18 is probably less dramatically 'funny' looking, but no functional issues.
I just bought some 30" rears and will currently have 26" front skinnies, we will see how that goes.
-J

carguy19

Established Member
I was looking around and see mostly track setups with skinnies up front.

I was looking to going to a smaller rear tire, but didn't want to go through a skinny upfront setup, but wanted to get a larger rear sidewall. Has anyone run 20/18 setup with the rear being around a 1" difference in tire height, as a daily?

Curious about traction and the ability to drive around. Not running slicks either -

I always ran welds on my fox body cars.

I just used a 5 inch wide in the front instead of the 3.5 inch wide.

It never gave me any issues with the 5 inch wide wheels.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

U LOSE

Established Member
i drove all over Houston and even drove it to Austin with welds on my camaro. 3.5 in the front. Its different, and not for everyone. I definitely dont drive on welds now. but it can be done if it is your cup of tea. Just remember you wont have the stopping power you used to with the skinnies on the front.

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
Thanks U Lose .. I wouldn't be running them with skinnies ... I dont want to do a separate track set... I dont go to the track nearly enough, but still want traction and the smaller rear tire... but we shall see, lol

Users who are viewing this thread