Daily Driver tires in the $200-$250 range?

lsxjunkie

Established Member
I tried to search but the search seems to be broken.

EDIT: Change of priorities, looking for a UHP All Season now.

So I have Boss 19x9/9.5s on my car with 255/285s. It's a daily driver that does a ton of commuting in all weather. I do 17-20k a year. I have snows for the winter on my Brembo Wheels.

I'm looking for a good tire that will last a decently long time (25k real world, not warranty miles is the target, so I can get at least 2 summers out of them) and provide good cornering feedback. I hate soft sidewalls. They completely negate all the money I've put into the suspension. Will not be doing HPDE/AutoX.

Anyways, does anyone have high mileage experience with a tire in the UHP A/S class that can help me out? I just cancelled my BFG Sport Comp 2 summers order because apparently the 340 UTQG rating is a lie, they're noisy as hell, and they burn up in 15k miles, and the fronts have been backordered since January.

I'm looking at things like the Sport Comp 2 A/S, Advan Sport A/S, possibly the recently released MPS A/S3+, but I heard terrible things about the tread life of the A/S3s. If there are any UHP Summers that get good treadlife and have strong steering response/stability, I'm open to that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

paulyboy928

Established Member
for that price range, nitto invos might work. i've daily driven on them for two years and still have a good amount of tread left. only complaint is they spin like all hell on a pull if it's below 75. lol

JDos1

Established Member
+1 I'm running pilot sport a/s 3's. Great tire. Great traction, great tread life (I got 40K out of my last pair on the rear), and decent price.

Simpletire.com has the best price on 285/40/19 rears. Not sure about fronts as I've only recently bought two pair of rears from them.

sono

Established Member
I'm running nt05, but previously Invo. The nt05 actually handle fine in the rain despite the drag tread pattern. The wear has also been good. I think I might get 15-18 out of them. Not loud and I like them better than the Invo.

My buddy has a 630 whp Roush with the coopers. 18k and a ton tread left. I like those as well.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
How long do the Street Comps typically last, and how stiff are the sidewalls? I don't like tires that have to take a set in a corner.

I would also consider a good UHP All Season. I had Conti DWSs once. Never again. The sidewalls flopped over on themselves and I had to countersteer lane changes. The handling on those sucked.

rmurer

Established Member
How long do the Street Comps typically last, and how stiff are the sidewalls? I don't like tires that have to take a set in a corner.

I would also consider a good UHP All Season. I had Conti DWSs once. Never again. The sidewalls flopped over on themselves and I had to countersteer lane changes. The handling on those sucked.

Well after a season of use on a blown 5.0 the street comps still had plenty of life. Only had to replaced one due to getting a 5" screw in the side wall. As far as how stiff the side wall isn't. not sure.

rdplain

Established Member
Continental DW. Don't get the mickey street comps they are awful

I agree about the Street Comps being awful. I gave them a try in the 255/40-19 & 285/35-19 sizes, ZERO traction!
I did Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions in 275/35-19 on my stock Brembo wheels. Hands down a great tire for the money! Stiff sidewalls, 280 treadwear, and well within your budget. I can launch these things at 3k on the street and hook everytime!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+S-04+Pole+Position

burke985

Established Member
Bridgestone Potenza S04 for the price are a very good option, had them on my S/c coyote for almost 2 years

sono

Established Member
Btw the mickey street comp and the coopers are basically the same tire.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
+1 I'm running pilot sport a/s 3's. Great tire. Great traction, great tread life (I got 40K out of my last pair on the rear), and decent price.

Simpletire.com has the best price on 285/40/19 rears. Not sure about fronts as I've only recently bought two pair of rears from them.

I think we have a winner. Thanks.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
So I put on the A/S3+s on today. 255/40/19 front, 285/35/19 rear on takeoff Boss 302 wheels, 35psi at all corners. On hard lane changes, they're squirmy in the sidewall. I can push the car at the a-pillar and watch the wheel move around on the sidewall. Not thrilled, but this is only the first 30 miles.

EDIT: Temps came up, pressures came up, I remembered to put the damn steering back into sport, and the car is starting to feel much better. I'm going to go out without my wife later to really romp on it to see if they're really all they're cracked up to be.

Last edited:

Eric L

Established Member
After running a few different tires on my 15' and my 13', I found the continental DW are perfect! Esp for the price on tire rack. We drive em pretty hard and they hold up well, and grip even better once you put a few miles on them. By far the best I've had on either car so far that weren't purpose track tires.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Further notes: The A/S3+s are much lighter on center than my snow tires were. I don't get much weight in the steering wheel until about 40mph. I ran the car pretty hard through some twisties last night. They have plenty of grip. Sidewalls are not laser sharp, but plenty responsive if I'm not being hamfisted with the wheel. I prefer laser sharp, but you can't have it all. The car didn't pause before taking set on turn in, but mid corner adjustments were a bit squidgy. I haven't launched the car, but I have panic braked and the car stopped hard without any drama.

Users who are viewing this thread