Daily Driver??? SVT Contour or Focus???

TurdFergusun

Established Member
My Terminator only has 40k miles on it, I got rid of my Raptor because I didn't get to use it the way the SVT Gods intended and I was putting $800 a month in gas but driving my baby everyday is NOT an option. So, here in my local area I've found a 98 SVT Contour with only 100k miles on it. Its not in terrible shape but needs some TLC. And then I found an 03 SVT Focus ZX5, its in great shape with 125 k on it has some small mods to it but I'm really just trying to keep my driveway SVT pure. If anyone has insights on which is a more fun/practical car I'd appreciate it. I like the hatchback of the SVTF but am drawn to the RARENESS of the SVTC

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I looked into both of those cars as DDs. Both are loads of problems. Timing belts are the worst. I'll let others with SVTCs chime in.

b_dike

Established Member
I'd think the svtf would be the way to go just for the mpg's alone. I've had a few foci over the years just not an svt, and loved them all.

masterjr33

Established Member
im pimping a daily 97 mitsu mirage ls coupe.

with some eco mods im breaking 55 MPG every week.
So far it needed tires. and rear brakes. .and I put plugs in it.
317K miles.. every single button and knob works.

I know the SVTC are a PITA.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I would do a SVT focus, They are super sporty and fun, no to mention great gas millage. I have been told about the timing belt issues but as long as someone took care of it I think it would be a reliable daily!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Im considering buying a local 02 svtf right now. Ive been looking jnto them a bit. Compared to my Cobrs the F is cake. Bigest thing is 90k timing belt with pullies changes. $200 in parts through Tacus Ford and i will do the work myself. They have a notorius T-stat housing leak fixed by a svt countor housing, also cheap. Then theres the clutch which does get alittle costly at around 1200 for a stock clutch/flywheel but are supposed to last 100k plus miles.

If this local one is as clean as the pics look, ill be the owner of two SVT vechicles.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Why not just buy another cobra ....

20mpg is fine in my book

Im banging on the door of 400k as a dd....other than wear items its been a blast and has been very reliable

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah if you don't need 4x4 or the utility of a larger vehicle, go for a 96-98 cobra. I'd do this if I could, but for camping/lake/house etc I'm looking at trucks

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
My wife has an 04 SVTF and she loves it. I had a 5 door 04 a couple years ago and it was a great DD. Like anything else as long as it was maintained they dont have to many issues. Hers has around 155k and is going strong.

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
I've got an 02 Lightning, 03 Cobra and an 02 Focus for the Daily Driver. The Focus is a Hoot to drive! There's no reason to stay away from them as long as you can tackle any misc. maintenance issues that may arise. The SVT's are half British so they can be quirky. Keep Steve at Tasca Ford handy to order your parts from. He's the Focus parts Expert.

bubblehead93

Established Member
Had a 03 SVT Focus that I sold to my brother-in-law, probably buy it back someday...

It is much better in stop and go traffic and it was a blast to drive around the roads and freeways in San Diego, but don't expect much better gas mileage... I really loved the focus for the nine months I had it, replaced the timing belt, replaced the T-stat housing, short throw shifter, air intake, new pads/discs, and struts just to baseline the car which had been onew owner with only basic maintenance (oil changes, coolant flsuhes), sold it because the Navy was sending me to a island in the south pacific, I was limited to how many toys I could bring... miss that car, it was a blast, small, light, nimble...

Users who are viewing this thread