Daily Driver Cobra: The Battle of Coupe vs Vert and More

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Hey all, some of you may know me from the road kill section. Some of you obviously will not know me. Just some quick facts: I've got an undying love for all things American and muscle cars are no exception. I also have a love for various imports: Japanese, European, and even Australian! As of right now my daily driver is a base (literally 0 features for lightest weight) 370z. Nothing against Nissan, it has its problems, and it's torqueless but it handles great and has an amazing sporty feel to it.

However, the lack of backseats can get annoying. While I've never had a single issue with room (hatch space is huge in this car), I know I'm going to need backseats eventually. My gas mileage is alright and I know a Terminator won't ever get as good gas mileage as the Z.

On the contrary, I've gotten the itch again and have been looking for Cobras in places near me. I've found the mother lode of Cobra's (this place has ~28 cobras from over the years!) but I've also found a few 'verts near me. Now I have yet to test drive one and the one I'll be testing tomorrow is a 'vert. Just curious to hear about what some pro's vs con's that I may not have thought of in terms of comparing the two styles. And I mean ones that are strictly applicable to the Cobra, not just generic advice on whether or not a coupe or vert is better as a daily driver (I already know the answer to that one lol).

Now I've tried to research as much as possible in terms of what to look for and check, etc. However, I'd love to hear some input from you all about what I should check specifically in the convertible and also thoughts/opinions on daily driving a 'vert/coupe terminator.

Summarized use of the vehicle: daily driving, travel, drag strip, road race.

Thanks.

Last edited:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I'd go with a coupe for everyday. I could live with a vert as a weekend toy, but I couldn't drive it every day. Thats just me though. There are plenty of members here that drive their verts daily. I suggest you drive both and see how they feel to you. Being as your car is a coupe I think your gona like the coupe more.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I have a vert...well a couple of them...and I couldn't dd one. I love the car, it's alot of fun, but I don't see myself dd'ing a vert.

On the other hand, there's nothing quite like driving to the track with the top down, racing all day, and driving back home with the top down. Best of both worlds.

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Thanks guys.

I did daily drive an '04 T-bird for a short time with the soft top. I know it's a lot less hassle than the Cobra top (removal/putting on) I believe, but I didn't have a problem with it. The two things I'm worried about the Cobra 'vert is: 1. weight. The coupe is pretty heavy in my opinion and the 'verts about 150 over that. 2. rattle, leak, noise, etc.

cobra_mer

Established Member
I DD a 03 vert and dont have any leak, rattle, or noise issues. well maybe noise but the exhaust drowns them out :D. If you are going to get a vert and put any power into make sure you add a hefty set of sub frame connectors. Also make sure you examine the vert top closely, they tend to break down where they fold up, check for any frays, tears, etc. Unless its a brand new top you will see the areas I'm describing. I dont really care about the 150+ lbs of extra weight cause its not a drag car. I use a custom fit cover everynight and most of the day, i dont give leaks a chance to start. Hope this helps. :beer:

skratpiece

Established Member
DD my vert. Minimal wear on top. Still 9/10. Minimal noise from top. Noticible chassis shake on extremely rough roads, but on average roads it's not noticible, and I would even contend that the amount of flex in the chassis offers some give to bumps that would otherwise be harsh in a more rigid coupe. I believe that the Vert has a supplemental brace that the Coupe does not have, and because it sits lower than the subframe it sometimes scrapes on my lowered cobra. This can be excruciating to experience when it firsts happens, and you'll think you definitely damaged something, but truth is that it's sort of like a belly pan that deflects damage. Spring rates are different if you weren't aware. Too soft in my opinion. Trunk space is smaller and if you like your sound systems like me, you are limited. Requires more cleaning because dust, dirt, debris always finds it's way into the car when riding with the top down. Seats are exposed to substantial increase in sun and risk fading obviously. Ability to put the rear windows down with the top up is a plus. I let my buddy drive and caught a wigjob while standing in up in the backseat before, and you can also bend girls over the rear seat. Overall, I wouldn't trade it for a coupe because I strictly use it for pimpin and pleasure.

Presteige

Established Member
Yeah I love my vert. You can have the best of both worlds... like mentioned top down to track... not to mention i love to hear that whine from the KB. When you drive a vert it is relaxing. When you wanna get serious... lol let the top up.

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
skratpiece
:lol::lol::lol:

If svtp had a 'Like Button' I would be hitting it. Bitches get wet.

Vert ftmfw. Although without a styling bar and optional hard tonneau I am not a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
The coupe does everything well, gives you more chassis rigidity and does a better job of protecting your head in case of a rollover

vert is badass for very nice days, if you live in a place where its almost always sunny then a vert is a good asset IF you actually use it with the top down, Id love a terminator vert to go with my coupe, just to keep it mint and pimp it on good days

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Been DD'ing my vert for going on 3 years now. My top does not leak. the rattles are minimal. A good set of FLSFC's will help with a ton with rattles and noises. The stock vert SFCs suck. They arent full length, and they are bolt on, not welded. As far as the weight issue...yes, it weighs a whole 150Lbs more or so than the coupe. But...how many other terminators do you think you will be racing? 99% of the other cars you come across on the street, you will still smoke with no problem. The extra 150Lbs shouldnt make or break you in a race. All of the cobras power will make up for that. =]

I honestly RARELY drop the top on mine tho. On super hot days, the top stays up, to provide some sort of shade. Otherwise the sun just beats down on you, making it even hotter. I mainly only put my top down on nice summer nights....now THAT is pimpin.

:rockon:

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Wow thanks for the input! Didn't think I'd get that many responses! I'm definitely going to have to test out both cars to see which I like best. I may have to do some suspension work it seems with the Vert (and even with the Coupe) to get it where I like it but that remains to be seen. Thanks again, you've all been a big help!

:beer:

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Well, test drove the '04 vert. it was over 50k miles... and apparently bone stock! Not a single modded thing on the car except the sales guy said the clutch wasn't stock... it felt horrible. The car was real clean but the clutch made the car undrivable. Handled great, the salesman floored it in second gear and wheel hopped(before I got in the seat)... got a little scary there for a second. Other than that and the drivers side door was misaligned everything seemed clean.

Now it's a search for a close coupe...

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i dd mine for 2 yrs and 22k miles. Never failed.

But having said that, you had better start life off with an extremely low mile vert, because they will flex apart over time. If you are looking seriously at daily driving a terminator and can only afford cars with 45k + miles......I'd stick with a clean coupe. I picked up my vert with 11k miles in '08. I personally would avoid used verts with 30K +

djtyau

Established Member
DD mine for about 6 years now. I currently drive 80 miles a day to work.

I have about 90,000 miles on it and I still love it. I rather drive my Cobra then some piss slow economy car. That is just me.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I love the people who seem like the vert just rattles and chatters, and wind just flys in the car from all angles and when it rains you get soaked. Most of this crap is people who dont have one and heard the same BS excuses and talked themselves out of it. If you take care of your car, coupe or vert then it will be fine. I got 40000 miles on mine, i daily drive it, a little more road noise, no leaks, no holes, looks great, and the car looks dead sexy with the top down. Haha an extra 150 lbs, its called a pulley and tune, with that power you wont notice the difference, and if you want, throw a kenne bell or a whipple on there and game over. Just tighten the suspension up.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
DD a S2000 for 2 years, sold it, now have a Cobra Vert as my DD. Love it. I have no use for back seats, so they will be pulled soon.

ramstein

Established Member
I DD mine and love it. with a few simple weight reduction tricks it weighs same as a coupe now. Here in FL Vert is a must!

vipergts281

Established Member
I daily drive my vert. Not sure what the deal is on not driving one everyday.....u can leave the top up.
Seriously. I don't get why some people on this site act like a Cobra is a Lamborghini.

It's a car that can be driven everyday. Period. It just happens to be fast as well.

gksingh

Established Member
Im actually Looking into a Vert myself to. Even though we only get 4-5 months of decent sun up here in Ontario.

Hey post some pics of your 370z, those are some sweet cars. Hows the rev-match function they include? thats pretty dam cool man

Users who are viewing this thread