Daily driven twins and reliability. Anything I should know?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a twin set-up for the 2014. Ive had plenty of blower and nitrous cars so im ready to do something different. I'm pretty turbo stupid, but have always wanted a turbo car. It is my DD. It sees about 8-10k miles per year with 5 to 10 track days, and a lot of highway pulls.

Is there anything I should do or need to do to make the kit reliable for a DD? I'd be shooting for high 500's low 600's rwhp.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BUCKET

Established Member
Running a '13 boss. Hellion twins. 12 psi. Tore it down to do install at 1300 miles. Car has 5400 on it now. Made two 7hr one way trips, blasted at each location and drove back fine. I do Not drive it EVERY day as I do have a daily. But it has a kid seat in the back,2yr old daughter rides in it. Every time I drive it I put it deep into boost. I try to drive it when it's dry out, no fun driving in rain in anything. Did get caught in rain on last 7hr trip with zero issues. Hit up Blow By Racing, they have done more work on hellion twins than anyone.

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
I personally know of a few guys locally that have had motor issues with just a few bolt on mods.....adding 150rwhp and boost isnt gonna help reliability. Thats the name of the game with high hp cars. All im trying to say is if you have one car to depend on to get to work and stuff it might not be a great idea.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Well I have two other cars also so I don't have to rely on this one and I don't really ever drive it in the rain and its stoted during the winter.

Since I've blown a few coyote motors already I'm no stranger to the you gotta pay to play. I'm just wanting to make sure I do everything I can to make it reliable and hopefully not have to pony up for a forged motor for a couple years.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
it should be fine but you should consider this... if you depend on your car for work and day to day duties i don't think that boosting is a wise choice. not because it will break but because if it does you will be screwed.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Well I have two other cars also so I don't have to rely on this one and I don't really ever drive it in the rain and its stoted during the winter.

Since I've blown a few coyote motors already I'm no stranger to the you gotta pay to play. I'm just wanting to make sure I do everything I can to make it reliable and hopefully not have to pony up for a forged motor for a couple years.

Id say go for it then if you have other modes of transportation if something happens. Its also good you know shit can always happen and I think the best thing to do for reliability is keep the boost lower and keep the timing down just to be extra safe. Do a different tune for when you wanna turn it up every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread