Daily Driven BOSS

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I'm contemplating buying a new '13 Boss. If I do, it would be my daily driver. My current daily driver is my '03 Cobra convertible. I just want your guys imput and opinions on daily driving a Boss. I like the power my '03 puts down, but I'm not looking to do anything crazy or illegal on the street (I'm a Police Officer :burnout: ) so the very vast majority of the time it will not be romped on. I may take it to the track or auto cross. I dunno.

Also for more info, I do not have a garage.

My whole plan was just to wait until they unveil the '15 Mustang to play it safe (don't want buyers remorse), but a year and half is a long time to wait and am not sure about the design direction Ford is planning with the mustang. I'm absolutely in love with the current bodystyle.

ccg07

Established Member
I daily drive my 2012 Boss w/ trackey on a 35 mile work commute. I park it in my garage though.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I daily my Boss. My commute is only 8 miles round trip, but it is very comfortable even on longer trips. The Recaros are great, the ride is very nice (shocks set at 3), the interior is solid, the shifter is great (I'm sure I'm the only one who thinks that). IF you can do with the lower rent interior materials & base radio, I'd say you have a good daily.

The only issue is the gas mileage is terrible. I get 12.5 mpg on my short commute, and I don't romp on it all the time.

86Fbody

Established Member
Just do it, never having to worry about being able to pass that person doing 45 on the highway or being able to merge without worry is always a plus, and not to mention the fact that it is a fairly rare car.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My only complaint in DD'ing mine was the radio. Spending 1.5-2 hrs in the car every day, I would have liked at least iPod connectivity. Using the Aux jack drove me nuts.

86Fbody

Established Member
My only complaint in DD'ing mine was the radio. Spending 1.5-2 hrs in the car every day, I would have liked at least iPod connectivity. Using the Aux jack drove me nuts.

Ahh but you have to remember the 2013's have SYNC. So he wouldn't have to worry about that.

SaleenTom

Established Member
I daily my Boss also !!! I have an 1800 ft. driveway and the other day was trash day......... you got it, I opened the trunk and piled trash bags up, and hauled them out to the road !!!!! LOL , I should have got a picture of that to post !:banana: Hey it's just a car....Right !!!! I have had it 2 months and have 3000 miles on it. So I enjoy mine very much. Can't wait till the first SNOW !!!!!!!!!!! I will get pictures of that.:bash:

Grant808

Established Member
Traded my '03 Cobra 'vert for my Boss...so you know what I'd do.

If I had to have one car to daily drive and park outside...it would be the Boss. It's the perfect car for daily use and track duty.

FKing1

Established Member
Daily drive my 13 and last winter a 12 Boss.
A little tricky in Michigan winters but would be a piece of cake for you in California.
You won't be sorry getting a Boss.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
sold my 03 coupe and bought the 13 Boss...........no regrets! this car is way better!

Dadz500

Established Member
Mine is my DD, have only had it for a week or so but like it so much I went out and bought a second one! If you wait until the 15's are out, or even the 14's you might be sorry, as of now, from what I have read we will have no Boss after 13. As of others have said, the factory radio leaves a bit to be desired but doesn't sound horrible, if it had sirius it would be better as I get sick of listening to my iPod all the time and hate searching the radio for a song I like. As for MPG, it runs on regular unless you use the track key and on the highway gets pretty decent MPG. I just did a 650 mile round trip this weekend, car is not broken in, had about 100 miles when I left. Averaged 85 mph the entire time (Florida speed limits are 70) and I got over 22 MPG without it being broken in. Around town so far I am getting about 16 but I had not been driving it hard prior to this weekend since it had no miles on it.

I would say if you are happy with your 03 as a DD you will ecstatic with a Boss as a DD. Since you have no garage just keep a good coat of wax on it at all times and it will keep it looking like new. I use Zaino which is a polish, not a wax and designed to be layered, the more coats the better and the deeper the paint looks and the better the shine with every coat. Not to mention it's like a coat of steel on it and really helps with rock chips from not happening.

My vote, I think is obvious. Go for it! This is the best car I have ever owned and I have had many and just about every kind and tuner brand of Mustang since 1994.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
If I buy one, Im thinking in the winter (January?) since I may get a better deal. I need to get my Cobra into selling shape, but Im leaning towards just reverting to stock and trading it in. I currently get 12-13mpg city, 18-19 freeway (up to 20) with an average of about 14.5-15mpg. Theoretically, the savings on gas alone will nullify most if not all the added insurance cost ($70/mo vs. $112/mo). Is anyone paying significantly less in insurance on their DD Boss?

And I'm definately not worried about the solid axle, I had a 68 Mustang and a heavily modified 93 5.0 Mustang both as my daily drivers at one point in my life, and my patrol car (Crown Vic) is a solid axle too. IRS is overrated IMO. I wish I would have never bought a convertible tho. Never been a fan, just this car was such a great deal when I bought it I couldnt pass it up.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
My Boss is (more or less) a DD, and the balance / usable performance keeps every drive entertaining, except when there are groceries in the car - have to slow down or the milk carton will explode as it flies off the seat. If you're legitimately on the fence, which it doesn't really sound like, go test drive the Boss - you'll never look back.

ICUNVN

Established Member
id pull the trigger. i was in the same position you are when i bought my shelby. i wasnt sure about having it as a DD. but i love it, and drive it almost daily (until i picked up my new science fair project)

only thing to really consider for a DD it you WILL take damage on it. ive got several rock dings, chips, couple chips in my wind shiled etc. but ill tell ya id rather see a shelby/boss/cobra what ever with a few dings and scratches than one that looks like its never driven. these cars are made to be driven. go dive them.

although if i were you id hold off for a few. im reading there will be no '14 boss 302. i know its a long shot but im still hoping for a boss 351. if thats the case the shelby may get traded off lol

Users who are viewing this thread