D1SC or F1A Procharger?

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Now we already know which one can make more power but I am just wanting to know which one is more streetable or are they both easily streetable?
And when it comes to total price of both of these, is the F1A much more money to buy than the D1SC and when it comes to stronger and better parts, mainly meaning the bottom end, I am planning on having it to handle 1000HP for either of them so I should be fine either way. My goal is to have 600-650 RWHP and I know the F1A is more than capable of doing this but what about the D1SC and how would would do I do it with one? And finally would I be better off using a Teksid block or an 03-04 Cobra block? I know they say the Teksid is very capable of this much power but the 03-04 is and iron block and I just want a very reliable motor, is the Teksid just as reliable as the 03-04 block? And what other things would you guys do for a build like this? And NO I don't wanna sell it and just buy one, I wanna build at least one of these motors in my life. You could say its on my bucket list, lol. Thanks guys.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
d1sc will make that with proper motor build. if those are your only two choices of blocks, go with the teksid as the 03/04 block main caps walk a shitload.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Might as well keep the lighter teksid block, being lighter is one of our few advantages over newer cars. The iron block is one reason I don't want the 03-04. Btw, want to buy my D1sc?

paluka21

Established Member
So from my experience, I went through 3- D1SC head units because they continued to leak oil through their internal seals. Granted, my first unit was put on the car well over 13 years ago, however the most recent repair/rebuilt which occurred 2 years ago didn't prove to be any more reliable. All of the superchargers were warrantied through ATI, which I was very pleased about. They offered me great service, and with the latest supercharger seal failure they replaced my D1SC with an oil fed D1.
If you go the D1 route, IMO, go with an oil fed D1, you will not be sorry. The D1, given it's higher step up ratio will make more boost, and is IMO a better blower than the D1SC. With a larger supercharged pulley on the D1 ( 3.50 ) vs ( 3.25 ) on the D1SC, it made 4 - 5 more pounds of boost and gobs more horsepower/torque.

Same dyno same combination, minus supercharger and fuel injectors.
D1SC at 13psi made 511rwhp
D1 at 16psi made 627rwhp

Lately the car was tuned on a Mustang dyno by a more competent tuner. At 17psi the car made 690rwhp on 93 octane.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Id rather go Paxton Novi 2000, but that's just me.

However, with Procharger, have a look into the House of Boost's dedicated belt drive system, that way you dont rely on the one belt spinning all the accessories and the blower.

Last edited:

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
So from my experience, I went through 3- D1SC head units because they continued to leak oil through their internal seals. Granted, my first unit was put on the car well over 13 years ago, however the most recent repair/rebuilt which occurred 2 years ago didn't prove to be any more reliable. All of the superchargers were warrantied through ATI, which I was very pleased about. They offered me great service, and with the latest supercharger seal failure they replaced my D1SC with an oil fed D1.
If you go the D1 route, IMO, go with an oil fed D1, you will not be sorry. The D1, given it's higher step up ratio will make more boost, and is IMO a better blower than the D1SC. With a larger supercharged pulley on the D1 ( 3.50 ) vs ( 3.25 ) on the D1SC, it made 4 - 5 more pounds of boost and gobs more horsepower/torque.

Same dyno same combination, minus supercharger and fuel injectors.
D1SC at 13psi made 511rwhp
D1 at 16psi made 627rwhp

Lately the car was tuned on a Mustang dyno by a more competent tuner. At 17psi the car made 690rwhp on 93 octane.

Thanks man. And I didn't know there was a difference between those. Honestly I didnt know there was one called a D1, lol. Always thought that people said that for short of d1sc. I looked on prochargers website and it said the d1 isnt oil fed, is that just something you tell them you want done to it when you order it? And what else did you do to get it over the 600rwhp mark if you don't mind me asking. Those are impressive numbers, and I like them, lol.

paluka21

Established Member
Thanks man. And I didn't know there was a difference between those. Honestly I didnt know there was one called a D1, lol. Always thought that people said that for short of d1sc. I looked on prochargers website and it said the d1 isnt oil fed, is that just something you tell them you want done to it when you order it? And what else did you do to get it over the 600rwhp mark if you don't mind me asking. Those are impressive numbers, and I like them, lol.

Sorry just seeing your reply. The D1 oil fed unit has a 4.44:1 internal step ratio compared to the D1SC's 4.10:1, which typically means more boost. The D1 is also capable of a little more RPM from the impeller.
It was a basic combo: D1, 3 core intercooler, 80lb injectors, glenns fuel system, stock AFR185 heads with upgraded springs, custom cam by freezy74 ( on the corral ), DSS 331 with forged internals, Edelbrock RPM II upper/lower, 1 3/4" shorty headers, prochamber, magnaflow catback. Essentially the parts just worked well together and the new owner found the right tuner for the car. I *had* Snow methanol installed but the tuner I took it to couldn't get it dialed in. With methanol, I suspect the car would be in the 750rwhp range on a mustang dyno, or close to 800rwhp on a dyno jet, depending on the tune.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
paluka - is it possible youre having a bypass valve issue with all the blown seals?

for 600-650 I dont think Id go through all the trouble of the bigger blower, I swear I think Id be considering turbo at that point. I would do a lot of searching for build threads on what all is involved with the dedicated drive and such...nothing ever fits/works like it should out of the box it seems

We didnt get to finish my tune because of the lousy pos thump tensioner but at 5500 rpm it made 10.5 psi and over 500hp, still a little rich and around 13 degrees of timing. I dont think I'll have any trouble breaking 600 on pump gas with 15-16psi and more timing

paluka21

Established Member
paluka - is it possible youre having a bypass valve issue with all the blown seals?

for 600-650 I dont think Id go through all the trouble of the bigger blower, I swear I think Id be considering turbo at that point. I would do a lot of searching for build threads on what all is involved with the dedicated drive and such...nothing ever fits/works like it should out of the box it seems

We didnt get to finish my tune because of the lousy pos thump tensioner but at 5500 rpm it made 10.5 psi and over 500hp, still a little rich and around 13 degrees of timing. I dont think I'll have any trouble breaking 600 on pump gas with 15-16psi and more timing

That's a good question about the bypass valve. At the time I was having all the problems with blown seals, I was making -about- 10psi on the stock bypass valve. I later switched to a Procharger Big Red race valve with 13psi, and had the same sealing issues with the D1SC. That is when Procharger stepped up and gave me my choice of a new supercharger ( 3rd one ) and this time I chose the oil fed unit.
Car made 627rwhp on a terrible tune at 16psi, then was retuned by the new owner to 690rwhp at 16psi with the same exact combination, just better tuner. Blower still had a lot left in it, and could have been spun another 6000-7000rpm which would have probably been around 20-21psi, but for the sake of keeping the old TKOII transmission together, I elected to keep it to a conservative number. Also, everything ran on a 6 rib serpentine belt without much belt slippage as well due to multiple idlers installed on the bracket.
I don't want to admit it, but I was copying a similar combination to what Mike Plummer has/had, and through his suggestions and research the car turned out to be a power ride. Nothing compared to his, as I believe he was upwards of 875+rwhp with his D1.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya the big red should have cured that...wonder if something was just minutely wrong with a casting or something, had to have been a royal PITA

its looking like I shouldnt have any trouble going past 600 on 15-16psi based on those numbers at 5500 with it making 10.5 psi, AF still needed cleaning up and had 12-13 degrees of timing.

paluka21

Established Member
ya the big red should have cured that...wonder if something was just minutely wrong with a casting or something, had to have been a royal PITA

its looking like I shouldnt have any trouble going past 600 on 15-16psi based on those numbers at 5500 with it making 10.5 psi, AF still needed cleaning up and had 12-13 degrees of timing.

I think you'll be fine IMO. A lot depending on the tune.

Good luck!

Helomech74

Established Member
You can't get a D1 for an SN95 Modular car (2v or 4v) because it's not offered in a reverse rotation setup (might be available for the S197 cars since they run a standard rotation setup). Personally, I'd go with the standard F1 blower as it's more of a street blower and performs best in the mid rpm range. If you want a little more low end power, look into the F1D. I wasn't a fan of it at first, but after running one now for a few months, I love it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread