D.C. Folks - Need Apartment Advice

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I seem to remember we had a few property managers in the group. Fiancée is headed to DC this August/September for a 12 month assignment. She'll be working across the street from the White House and I'll be keeping my home up here in Delaware.

We want something affordable, safe and convenient first. Size and amenities don't matter much, it's a place to crash during the week and maybe spend a weekend or two at during the month if the weather is nice and there's an event to attend. We'll be traveling back and forth most likely on Amtrak, so something along the red line might be nice. She hates commutes, really it'd be good to be downtown, but throw ideas at me.

Thanks in advance.

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
its wicked expensive in town. get a place in northern va within 5 miles from dc. ride in. if you don't live to far out its really not bad. or md..doesn't matter.

steeltoe

Established Member
Your best bet is Northern Va. The taxes are ridiculous in MD. I believe the stops closes to the White House are on the Blue/Orange/Silver line and the King Street Station(blue/yellow line) is also an Amtrak station.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
yeah i dont think youll find safe, affordable and close to D.C.

theres plenty apartments out this way, in the morning its about a 30 min drive into dc, depending on what time you go in or you can take the silver line which comes into tysons, should be coming to ashburn soon

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I hate commutes too, but sometimes you don't have a choice haha. I drive 70 miles a day...

Cheap and on the Red line? Try looking around Brookland/Catholic University. That is definitely an up and coming area and they are building a huge condo/apt/shopping center right by the metro.

If you don't have to be in the city, check out Silver Spring. Nice area there, tons of apartments, lots of stuff to do, and not the congestion of the city. Plus Billy's shop is there in case you need some work done on the Cobra.

But seriously, avoid living downtown unless you are a city person. I've been in DC 3 years and can't wait to get out.

Users who are viewing this thread