D-1SC to F-1 ???

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
Anyone stepped up from a D-1SC to the F-1. I was told it is a direct bolt in replacement.

Wicked

Established Member
SloIndyCobra said:
Anyone stepped up from a D-1SC to the F-1. I was told it is a direct bolt in replacement.

I think it uses the same basic case.

What block are your running? Just curious.

collibr1

Established Member
SloIndyCobra said:
What ever came with it, all forged internals in 2002.
NO. The 03-04 have forged internals. You have a forged crank and thats it, so if you have a D1 that will be enough to blow your stock motor. No need to go to the F1 until you go all forged.

Wicked

Established Member
SloIndyCobra said:
What ever came with it, all forged internals in 2002.

There were no 2002 Cobras in America. Its a 2001 cobra then. There was actually two blocks possible on 2001's.

But are you saying you are running the numbers in your sig on a stock shortblock? There's no way.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
actually....you can upgrade from the D1 to the F1, if you buy the whole new head unit...it uses the same piping, so it's a direct bolt-on replacement...I know b/c the shop who is doing my work, borrowed mine to see what kind of numbers their car would put down with it...good luck, i think the unit itself sells for around $2500

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
actually....you can upgrade from the D1 to the F1, if you buy the whole new head unit...it uses the same piping, so it's a direct bolt-on replacement...I know b/c the shop who is doing my work, borrowed mine to see what kind of numbers their car would put down with it...good luck, i think the unit itself sells for around $2500
Thanks, thats what I was looking for, I think I may just buy the new head unit.

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
RED99COBRA said:
Maybe he was saying that he intstalled forged internals in 02.
Yes, that is what I was saying, I should have went more in depth with my responce.

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
Wicked said:
There were no 2002 Cobras in America. Its a 2001 cobra then. There was actually two blocks possible on 2001's.

But are you saying you are running the numbers in your sig on a stock shortblock? There's no way.
Sorry for the confusion, I know there are two blocks in 01 but I don't know which one I have. My stock internals made around 500rwhp before I upgraded to forged (in 2002), nothing broke on the stock bottom I just knew it was only a matter of time.

Not much stock on this motor except for the intake.
CP slugs
manley rods
stock crank
ported heads
cams
8-rib pulley setup
a/c delete/manual tensioner
still running returnless fuel
cpr rails w/750cc injectors
03/04 cobra pump
kb boost-a-pump
-8 line
winter project will be C4 with manual valvebody and transbrake

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie

Established Member
I'm slightly confused by reading the above so I'll try to clarify. Upgrading from the D1SC to the F1 head unit is a simple bolt-on replacement. The case is identical. Only the bearings, impeller and step-up ratio (all internal) are different. The confusion lies in the fact that ATI also has an D1 head unit which is a completely different head unit than the D1SC. I used to run the D1SC on my Camaro, then replaced it with an F1. It bolted to the D1SC bracket with no other changes.

Check out the head unit specs here:

http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
Willie said:
I'm slightly confused by reading the above so I'll try to clarify. Upgrading from the D1SC to the F1 head unit is a simple bolt-on replacement. The case is identical. Only the bearings, impeller and step-up ratio (all internal) are different. The confusion lies in the fact that ATI also has an D1 head unit which is a completely different head unit than the D1SC. I used to run the D1SC on my Camaro, then replaced it with an F1. It bolted to the D1SC bracket with no other changes.

Check out the head unit specs here:

http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml
Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Wicked

Established Member
SloIndyCobra said:
Sorry for the confusion, I know there are two blocks in 01 but I don't know which one I have. My stock internals made around 500rwhp before I upgraded to forged (in 2002), nothing broke on the stock bottom I just knew it was only a matter of time.

Not much stock on this motor except for the intake.
CP slugs
manley rods
stock crank
ported heads
cams
8-rib pulley setup
a/c delete/manual tensioner
still running returnless fuel
cpr rails w/750cc injectors
03/04 cobra pump
kb boost-a-pump
-8 line
winter project will be C4 with manual valvebody and transbrake

Thanks, I am trying to decide when I build my motor if I will need a teksid block. Trying to get a good idea how much power a WAP block will hold.

You can actually look in the valley of your block and check. If it has the square casting grid its a teksid, and a diamond shaped casting grid is a WAP. The teksid is supposed to be beefier and stronger. Would you mind checking?

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
Wicked said:
Thanks, I am trying to decide when I build my motor if I will need a teksid block. Trying to get a good idea how much power a WAP block will hold.

You can actually look in the valley of your block and check. If it has the square casting grid its a teksid, and a diamond shaped casting grid is a WAP. The teksid is supposed to be beefier and stronger. Would you mind checking?
I just checked and it has the square grid, how much more pwr are they supposed to handle?

collibr1

Established Member
THE CASES ARE DIFFERENT. You cannot upgrade from a D1 to an F1 on a mod mustang. Yes the D1 and F1 use the same bracket and piping but buying a new head unit is not upgrading. You will have two head units. Going from a P1 to a D1 is an upgrade because the use the same case. You only have one head unit. The back part of an F1 case is much thicker than P1,D1. I have a polished F1 and new its a little over 3K(head unit only).

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
collibr1 said:
THE CASES ARE DIFFERENT. You cannot upgrade from a D1 to an F1 on a mod mustang. Yes the D1 and F1 use the same bracket and piping but buying a new head unit is not upgrading. You will have two head units. Going from a P1 to a D1 is an upgrade because the use the same case. You only have one head unit. The back part of an F1 case is much thicker than P1,D1. I have a polished F1 and new its a little over 3K(head unit only).
Yes, you are correct, the D-1SC can not be upgraded to the F-1 but the F-1 bolts right onto the same bracket as the D-1SC. So the answer to my first post is Yes "I was told it is a direct bolt in replacement" I didn't mention upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

collibr1

Established Member
My bad I misread your first post. I just didn't want you to get misinformation. Just out of curiosoty how much power are you looking to make?

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
collibr1 said:
My bad I misread your first post. I just didn't want you to get misinformation. Just out of curiosoty how much power are you looking to make?
No problem, I'd like to see at least 700rwhp and not work the blower as hard, Pulley it up to around 3.6??? Right now the belt starts slipping around 6000rpms with a 3.2 pulley. Also I may loose a few hp over the winter, I'm swapping in a C4 instead of the tired 3650.

Users who are viewing this thread