Cylinder head temperature sensor install

saleenssc1989

Established Member
I have a friend who has a 2000 lightning, he is having trouble keeping it running. He starts up his truck, idles for 3-4 seconds and then dies. When we tried giving it gas it dies. He has changed his Idle air control, fuel filter, checked for vacuum leaks and switched out the fuel pump relay. He had a Snap On diagnostic tool hooked up to his truck. The only code noted was his cylinder head temperature sensor was bad.
So I helped him change out the sensor which is located on the driverside, front of the motor near the #5 cylinder on the head. It is underneath the supercharger. I did some reading on how to change this prior to helping him. Most people mentioned that they had to take the supercharger completely off to reach this. However, I did read one post on a forum where oneguy was able to get to this sensor by just removing the alternator.
I removed the CAI, pulley bracket assembly, alternator and I was able to see the temperature sensor. I was not able to get a wrench on the sensor, it is a 19mm in size. I took the box end 19mm wrench, heated it up and bent it just enough to fit within that tight space. I was able to get it on the sensor. In the process I did break off the blk plastic piece that the harness slides on just exposing the brass part screwed into the head. I was now able to slide a 19mm socket with ratchet on it, loosened it up enough to spin out by hand. We were able to change this out in about an hour.
To reinstall the new sensor, I was able to spin it in by hand and then used the bent 19mm wrench to snug it up. I plugged the wire harness back in and bolted all brackets back up, belts and CAI.
This DID NOT fix his no idle issue, however I wanted to share that we WERE able to change out this sensor by just removing the alternator.

We are now checking possible trouble with his mass air and Diablo power puck as potential issues.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? Truck starts, idles for 5-10 sec. Then dies. Giving it any kind of gas instantly kills it. It just started happening oneday, no prior signs of performance problems.

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
Have you checked the boot on the air bypass tube? I went through the same thing a couple years ago. the boot where it goes into the, I wanna say supercharger, expanded and was letting outside air in. replaced the tube and it was seating properly so no more issue. I think it went from the intake tube to the supercharger but I could be wrong, I haven't seen my truck in a few months..... stupid winter.

Dusten

Established Member
I was thinking huge vacuum leak like that, or one of the tubes on the bottom came off. but he said he checked.

saleenssc1989

Established Member
My buddy finally took his 00 Lightning to the local Ford dealership. They were able to diagnose that it was the fuel pump resistor that had gone bad, it's a $60 part.
At least he has a new fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and a new cylinder head temperature sensor.
After hearing this, of coarse I find tons of information on this issue after the fact. Thanks guys for the information and advice on possible issues.

Users who are viewing this thread