Cyclinder Head Difference

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
I have been informed by my service technician that I do in fact have the tick. He has seen it in several other Cobras and says that mine is rather mild compared to others and that it will very likely not hurt anything. He has left it up to me to decide if I want the Jan 05 revised head or not. My warranty is still good, but I have several issues with the new head install, the first being that I don't want my engine torn down by complete strangers. My second issue is that I don't want a Jan 05 head on one side and the old head design on the other, it just bothers me. Is there any issue with having two different heads on the car? I am also having the service manager give me an estimate on what it would cost to have the passenger side head replaced while they are in there. Can anyone give me an idea on what this should cost? Should I just take the free head install and run?

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
Kilgore Trout said:
Take the free head and run.

So, I shouldn't worry about having the older head design on the other side? I suppose that you're right and I should stop my whining, but I also want the better designed head. I'm such a girl about my car.

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
4VFreak said:
So, I shouldn't worry about having the older head design on the other side? I suppose that you're right and I should stop my whining, but I also want the better designed head. I'm such a girl about my car.

I was the same way when i had to have my passenger valve cover off to replace 8 hydrolic lash adjusters in cylinder 1,2. Now thats its done im happier then ever with the car... just try and make sure they use fairly new fender covers while leaning over the car or else your paint will get scratched up.. wouldn't be the worst idea to buy brand new ones and provide them to the tech for the job.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
I was the same way when i had to have my passenger valve cover off to replace 8 hydrolic lash adjusters in cylinder 1,2. Now thats its done im happier then ever with the car... just try and make sure they use fairly new fender covers while leaning over the car or else your paint will get scratched up.. wouldn't be the worst idea to buy brand new ones and provide them to the tech for the job.

Thanks for the advice. Scratches and other paint damage are a major concern of mine. I told the tech, without trying to be a jerk that my car has no door dings and I know where all the paint imperfections are. My car also needs buffed, so I may have their body shop do that after they are done. That should take care of anything minor that may happen.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
If they are already going to have it torn apart for the one head, you might pony up to have the other done at the same time, if you are in a position to do so.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
427Windsorman said:
If they are already going to have it torn apart for the one head, you might pony up to have the other done at the same time, if you are in a position to do so.

The jury is still out on that, I am waiting for the quote as we speak.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
The quote for the passenger side head wasn't bad, so I'm getting both replaced. Soon to have a set of Jan. 05 heads on the Cobra, as well as a new TOB and a complimentary buffing/detailing. The warranty is up at the end of the month, then the real fun begins. :burnout:

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
4VFreak said:
The quote for the passenger side head wasn't bad, so I'm getting both replaced. Soon to have a set of Jan. 05 heads on the Cobra, as well as a new TOB and a complimentary buffing/detailing. The warranty is up at the end of the month, then the real fun begins. :burnout:

Excellent!! Keep us posted on how it runs with the new heads.....

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Better to do it now while under warranty and your engine is still good then to have your warranty run out and you have a sick motor that you have to replace out of pocket because you waited too long. Mine was replaced under warranty and there were no problems at all afterwards- ran good as new- and NO TICK!!!:thumbsup:

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
mavereq said:
what price did they quote you?

$1644 for the passenger side head parts ($1100) and labor($544). Might not be the best price on the head itself, but I don't feel like hassling them on the price and pissing them off. They are a rather large dealership and would probably tell me to F-off.

mavereq

Established Member
i was only asking because i am on the verge of replacing my heads and haven't looked into prices yet.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
mavereq said:
i was only asking because i am on the verge of replacing my heads and haven't looked into prices yet.

I think someone on this site can get them fairly cheap. In the neighborhood of $750. I think the vendor is Ford SVT Parts, but I don't know who the contact is.

Users who are viewing this thread