Cutting stock springs VS buying lowering springs

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Going to tackle my brake/rotor job this weekend and figured while I was under there, perhaps I should drop the car as well. Would this be the appropriate time to do that?

Question is now, should I cut the stock springs? I want a comfortable drop (not completely slammed where the car isn't drivable). Opinions, Pictures and insight would definitely help! I don't want to spend 175-200$ for no reason.

Sveet01

Established Member
Make sure you have 15, 18, 23, and 24mm sockets with a breaker bar or impact.

I cut mine 1 1/2 coils up front and 1 in the back while retaining iso's and I think its perfect.

Never rubs, and def looks lowered. I would say I went down around 2" in the front and 1.5" in the back.

Not the best pic but yeah.
DSC00708.jpg

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Id say you cut them 1 full coil in the front and 1/2 a coil in the rear since you have a 03 cobra coupe springs. I have always like that height. Let us know who it comes out.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
cut springs ftw. cost me 6 dollars to drop my car...heres mine 1&1/4 coil cut up front, 1 coil cut off rears
DSCN0362.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Me personally I like lowering springs. I have never liked the Idea of cutting them. never have and never will but that is my opinion of course. I am using Steeda springs and they are wonderful. 1 1/4 inch all the way around then the wheels bumped it back up another bit LOL.

WashedandWaxed.gif

DSCN1008.jpg

Last edited:

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
For everyone that cut the stock springs and then eventually got legitimate lowering springs... did you notice a difference?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
wow I feel liek this thread should be called doing it the cheap way vs. doing it the right way. But to each his own.

I can understand arguments for both sides, b/c not everyone is looking for the same thing. Some people are looking for a performance/handling advantage with springs, others are just looking for a more aggressive stance. If the car is just a DD or only sees nice weather & weekend driving around town, I don't see anything wrong with cutting springs.

Hell, I've seen Chip Foose cut springs on Overhaulin' b/c he didn't like the stance.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
wow I feel liek this thread should be called doing it the cheap way vs. doing it the right way. But to each his own.
so installing springs with a way stiffer rate that does away with weight transfer for traction and giving a much worse ride quality is the right way? huh, i'm still learning...

i've had cut springs on all three of my cobras and don't have one bad thing to say about it. looks fantastic, way cheaper, you can "choose" your height, overall ride quality improves believe it or not(cutting to a certain point at least). i've ridden in cars with both Steeda and the ever so loved H&R springs and could not believe how horribly those cars rode. i've gotten compliments from those same people when they ride in my cars on how nice they ride for how low they are...just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread