cutting 99 rear springs

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I am in the process of buying some factory 99 cobra springs to cut and install on my already lowered new edge. I currently have sportlines in the rear,but the drop is too low,and I wanted to throw a taller spring in the back. I want the car to have a "SLIGHT" rake,nothing too crazy,just raised up so my exhaust wont scrape anymore,and the car wont look funny.

1. how much of the coil do you recommend cutting off of the springs to get a decent ride/look?

2. Is there a write up anywhere of doing the rear springs on an IRS car??

3. I also have poly spring iso's that I havent used yet,should I throw them in along with the rear springs??

thanks!!

- chris

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
The easiest way to change out the back springs is to take off the rear calipers, unbolt the shocks at the bottom and then support the rear from underneath with a jack. Unbolt the two rear IRS subframe bolts and slowly lower the back of the IRS until the springs can be pulled out. This is by far the easiest and quickest way. I have seen a few write ups about it.

Here are some links:
Click

zPipes

Established Member
i hear between 1 and 2 coils being cutoff is average for most people

for the iso's, i went with eibach pro kit and jsut removed most of them. depends on you, i suppose you can throw poly's in, i hear they lift up a bit, so consider that when your cutting

K2AHollywood

Established Member
try throwing in the isos first to see if that raises it enough before you cut anything, they make quite a difference. secondly i have a set of stock 99 spring if you need them

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i hear between 1 and 2 coils being cutoff is average for most people

for the iso's, i went with eibach pro kit and jsut removed most of them. depends on you, i suppose you can throw poly's in, i hear they lift up a bit, so consider that when your cutting
2 coils is way too much. the average would probably be between .5 - 1.25 coils...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i asked my buddy how many was cut off his... he couldnt remember, it was done when he bought the car. i wanna say around 1.25 or 1.5 in the rear
7.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:

black N/A beast

Established Member
did it have any effect on handling? i hate the stock offroad kit the cobras come with, wouldent mind doing this myself.

Last edited:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Mine

The roads here are horrible so I only wanted a minimal drop.

Here is mine, I cut 1 coil up front and 3/4 coil off the back. I wanted a small rake too.

2nw0llv.jpg

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If the car is just like the terminator than I would start with 3/4 of a coil all around. See where that puts you. I did that to mine and it was pretty good. perfect I think would have have been 3/4 in the front and 1/2 in the back. I since went with H&R's and then now Steeda Sports and love them. Do the 99's have linear springs like the 03/04? I was under the impression you can or should only cut linear and not progressive. Is this true? -Shane

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Yep

Yeah they are linear.

The thing is our cars have worse 4x4 than the 03, 04 Cobras do from the factory. I don't think 3/4 up front would be enough unless you ran without isos.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
If the car is just like the terminator than I would start with 3/4 of a coil all around. See where that puts you. I did that to mine and it was pretty good. perfect I think would have have been 3/4 in the front and 1/2 in the back. I since went with H&R's and then now Steeda Sports and love them. Do the 99's have linear springs like the 03/04? I was under the impression you can or should only cut linear and not progressive. Is this true? -Shane
like anothersvtguy said, our cars sit higher stock for stock than an 03/04 so 3/4 in the front is definitely not enough. 1 full coil in the front and 3/4 or 7/8 in the rear is a good drop that's sporty but not too low...

Users who are viewing this thread