Cut Springs = The verdict

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
alignment needed after cutting?

after cutting the springs like Surfnerv89 did, do you need to get an alignment done? Will the stock shocks still work well?

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
another dumb (perhaps) question...
How difficult is it to cut the springs? Will a simple hand-held hacksaw work? Or is there some type of special blade/saw/power tool needed?

Silver10thAConv

Established Member
A hacksaw would probably work ...eventually.:D

A cutoff wheel on an angle grinder would probably be the easiest/quickest. That's what I plan on using.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Another Dumb Question: Has anyone removed the stock spring isolators when they cut the stock springs? Will this lower the car even more?!?

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
mine is a bit lower though (1 1/4 coil up front, 1 out back) but stance is perfect in my eyes. congrats!
Any pics of your car? I want to see what it looks like in the front. Thanks.

wiz

your daddy!!!
Established Member
i WILL be doing this. i guess im just "stupid" or "cheap" but that 230.00 is almost half of the apten thats going on in the next couple of weeks. there is nothing wrong with cutting your springs. ive done it before on my low 12 second NA 03 gt and i WILL do it again on my 30k+ 03 cobra. nice work!

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I don't really want to lower my car, just get rid of the rake and level things out. Do you think 1/2 coil off the rear would do it? I just want to lower the rear by 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
No, it would be stiffer since their is less spring to absorb the energy being put into it, therefore more energy is being transferred through to the frame of vehicle. I am also going with the anti hop shocks so I expect ride to be a bit stiffer.

FKing1

Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
No, it would be stiffer since their is less spring to absorb the energy being put into it, therefore more energy is being transferred through to the frame of vehicle. I am also going with the anti hop shocks so I expect ride to be a bit stiffer.
You are right on. The fewer the coils the stiffer the ride.
Fred K.

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
I don't really want to lower my car, just get rid of the rake and level things out. Do you think 1/2 coil off the rear would do it? I just want to lower the rear by 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

I would say to make it completely level you should take off 1/4-3/8 coil.

wiz

your daddy!!!
Established Member

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by wiz
do you even know one thing about what your saying or are you just babling?:loser:
see my cut spring results here. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109253 cutting non progressive springs will never have a negative effect on the car!!!(unless you cut too much)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when you’ve got a spring with X amount of coils, each coil has a little something to do with the load that specific spring can handle. Now if you go chopping off coils yes the car will be lower, but you’ve altered the load that spring was designed to distribute over vertical play. Now if you look into at spring designed to lower the car don’t you think you’d be better off in terms of shock distribution? Either way cutting your springs is a matter of taste, I for one don’t like bouncing down the road and have no problem shelling out $200, it's a 40k car, come-on. :D

wiz

your daddy!!!
Established Member
the car doesnt bounce! it rides just as it did before the cut. i have even gone out of my way to hit bumps,potholes,etc... no bottoming out no harsh ride. its nice to drive a 35+k car and be able to save some here and there so you can use it in other mods that cant be done by yourself. listen, i have 4 car payments a mortgage a wife and 2 kids. if i can save 250.00 by cutting my springs and it gets me the same results as the other guy who spent 250.00 plus labor you can be damn sure ill do it. now the apten port is going to be done sooner because i saved this money.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
YUP !!!!

Originally posted by wiz
the car doesnt bounce! it rides just as it did before the cut. i have even gone out of my way to hit bumps,potholes,etc... no bottoming out no harsh ride. its nice to drive a 35+k car and be able to save some here and there so you can use it in other mods that cant be done by yourself. listen, i have 4 car payments a mortgage a wife and 2 kids. if i can save 250.00 by cutting my springs and it gets me the same results as the other guy who spent 250.00 plus labor you can be damn sure ill do it. now the apten port is going to be done sooner because i saved this money.

Well said Wiz... Some people just don't get it !!! The cut springs work just fine but if you want to spend the cash on aftermarket ones then know yourself out...

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member

When I installed IRS subframe bushings I cut the rear springs to get rid of the rake. I believe the outside circumference of one coil was 17 inches. My notes showed that I cut 8 inches off. The rear of the car came down 1/2 inch. The rake isn't noticable now, but measuring at the rockers shows the rear is still about a 1/2 inch higher than the front. Since the coil spacing of the last coil changes quite a bit I think another 2 or 3 inches (10 - 11 inches)would get you pretty close to an inch lower.
All this nonsense about not cutting springs is misinformation. I've been cutting springs on my cars and friends cars since the 70's and have never had a problem. No noises and no noticable difference in the ride unless you really get carried away. A 2 inch drop is never a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread