cut springs pics

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Just finished (well almost) my modding before I take the Cobra out of winter storage.

Installed: Billetflow diff brace, HD diff crossbar, Bilstein struts (already had the shocks on) front brake rotors and pads (still need to do rears) smoked headlights as well as cut stock springs. I cut one coil of the front and 3/4 off the rears. Reused all stock isolators.

Before:
2l8u6bm.jpg

After:
4d5qejr.jpg

and

40crrki.jpg

Sorry no shots from the side, it started raining about 30 seconds after I got my camera out. Just need to do the rear brakes and get an alignment! :beer:

Edit, and maybe some wheel spacers...

Last edited:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
one more

One more from the side.

Could definately go lower for looks, but it's a lot better than it was. Also this car is my daily driver and the roads can be pretty bad here. I may pull the isos if I get bored next winter but I am not messing with it anytime soon. That was a lot of work. :eek:

I'm happy with the looks as a daily driver. If it was a track or weekend only car I would prolly want it lower.
2nw0llv.jpg

Last edited:

MIKEC501

Established Member
I am going to cut mine also. with cutting 1 coil off the front and 3/4 off the rear does it set even or is the front lower? I cant tell from the pic's.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
no

No, 1 up front and 3/4 in the rear gives you a rake. I wanted the rake look though so it's pretty close to what I had in my mind, but I think if I had to do it over again I would go closer to 7/8 in the rear and 1 up front. That would still give a nice rake look but be a touch lower in the back.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
man those headlights add sooooo much to the car. I swapped mine before i even knew it was the popular thing to do! LOL

CobraG

Established Member
I want to do that, that looks about right for me, to low and I won't be able to get out of my garage, what is the "rake" look?

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
CobraG said:
I want to do that, that looks about right for me, to low and I won't be able to get out of my garage, what is the "rake" look?

The front a little lower then the rear..:-D

CobraG

Established Member
Bizarro said:
The front a little lower then the rear..:-D

Cool, thanks man :beer:

Now is that a good or bad look? I guess it's probably whatever the individual thinks :shrug:

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
CobraG said:
Cool, thanks man :beer:

Now is that a good or bad look? I guess it's probably whatever the individual thinks :shrug:

Most people float between a slight rake and a even look between the front and back...

The only time the front end should be higher then the back is if you can pull the front tires off the ground as well. :bowdown:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
anothersvtguy said:
That was a lot of work. :eek:

wha? shouldn't have been too bad w/ a cutoff wheel...you can get a 4" angle grinder and cutoff wheels from harbor freight for <20 bucks...cutting springs takes like 30 seconds...
also doesn't take very long to pull the spring out of the car and put them back...

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
quick01snake said:
wha? shouldn't have been too bad w/ a cutoff wheel...you can get a 4" angle grinder and cutoff wheels from harbor freight for <20 bucks...cutting springs takes like 30 seconds...
also doesn't take very long to pull the spring out of the car and put them back...

No, you are right. I mean ALL the mods I did together were a lot of work. The springs themselves were not all that bad. Dropping the IRS is so much easier than you would think. But between the rotors, pads, springs, struts, diff brace, crossmember and headlights my arms are tired. :sleeping:

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
anothersvtguy said:
No, you are right. I mean ALL the mods I did together were a lot of work. The springs themselves were not all that bad. Dropping the IRS is so much easier than you would think. But between the rotors, pads, springs, struts, diff brace, crossmember and headlights my arms are tired. :sleeping:

ahhhhh....my bad i misunderstood how much work you did...

rickymh

Established Member
yea i dont see much diff from stock. still looks like a 4x4. Im driving a 4x4 cobra also. I need to slam my cobra asap. but will never cut springs. i heard your car will bounce and the ride is horrible when u do that.
Im not a big fan of "mikey mouse" work. espicially on a cobra.

Last edited:

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
rickymh said:
yea i dont see much diff from stock. still looks like a 4x4. Im driving a 4x4 cobra also. I need to slam my cobra asap. but will never cut springs. i heard your car will bounce and the ride is horrible when u do that.
Im not a big fan of "mikey mouse" work. espicially on a cobra.

Please do your research on cutting springs on the Cobra....you are mis-informed at this point.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
bad31.jpg

If it isn't one thing it's another I swear. Anyway, if I don't like the way my Bilsteins sit, I'll cut the originals as well.

Users who are viewing this thread