Cut Springs Drop

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
Is there any information about how much drop per inch you get with percentage of cut coil; i.e. does half a coil a coil equal half an inch and so forth?

I'm looking for only about .5 - .75 inch drop

Unoid

Established Member
3/4th's should do that.

Its been listed, search for it

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
this is one coil cut:

before:
fkzbzm.jpg

after:
2ivctw6.jpg

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
i had one coil cut in the front and 3/4 of a coil cut in the back of my 04 cobra. the drop was identical to h&r race springs with all the iso's in. the car sat even. i would say it was about 1.6 in the front and 1.5 in the back.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
i want to cut only my rear springs. i want the car to sit level. has anyone done this, to tell me how much coil to remove?

paxton5.0

Established Member
I just got my springs cut today. I dont regret it one bit. Takes the 4x4 look away at an unbeatable price. Mine rides just like stock and looks great. I did 1coil in front and 3/4 in the rear.

romi

Established Member
Don't mean to hijack this thread. But do you need to get an alignment after you cut the springs and drop it? I want to drop my vert some but don't have a ton of cash right now.

paxton5.0

Established Member
I would assume that you do, just to make sure. Getting an alignment is cheaper than chewing up your tires.

MikeW

Established Member
1 coil off all the way around of stock Vert springs> I love the drop and the ride is fine... save the 300 bones IMO. If I had to do it over I'd take a tad more out of the back...

Before and After

Before
1.jpg

After:

IMG_0390.jpg

normal_2.JPG

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Everytime I say Im gonna buy sprigs instead I see stuff like this that makes me want to save my moey and just cut them...............Hey look at 04sleepers car, one of the baddest cobra's on this site and he has cut springs.

MikeW

Established Member
Iwas gonna buy springs or coil overs 04blkterminator but got in a rush and got tired of getting ribbed for the 4x4 look and went what the hell lets give it a shot. LOL. I may get coilovers down the road but for now the free drop is more than fine. I have no rubbing issues either.

1nterceptor

Established Member
I may be wrong, but doesn't cutting the springs take away from the strength of them?

I dunno, I've heard that cutting springs can end up bad...

MikeW

Established Member
I may be wrong, but doesn't cutting the springs take away from the strength of them?

I dunno, I've heard that cutting springs can end up bad...

They are linear springs so cutting them does not affect the spring rating as much as cutting a progressive spring. It rides better than stock and did well in the on ramp "test" at "test speeds"

I had heard all teh stories too.. but I tell you it rides and handles fine. may even take it to an autocross to see how it goes.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3669289&postcount=5

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i just cut mine...........and it doesnt look to sit any lower. i havnt driven the car yet....did you guys notice a differnce after you drove it?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Just did another set for my buddy. We cut 1 full coil off the front and a coil plus 2 inches (coil length, not height) off the rear. It's sits perfectly level now, and it's low. Probably a bit too low for some, but it looks killer. Here's a crappy pic of the after results:

DSC00056.jpg

Last edited:

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Can someone tell me exactly what to...................

I take off the struts and the springs will come out no problem? then I just cut them ( if I dont have a torch how should I do it) then reinstall and done?

MikeW

Established Member
Can someone tell me exactly what to...................

I take off the struts and the springs will come out no problem? then I just cut them ( if I dont have a torch how should I do it) then reinstall and done?

do a search on the removal...there is a good write yup some where. cut the springs with a cutting disk or a dremel tool.. a torch will heat them up and heat is not good for the springs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread