Custom Sub Box

bmitchell373

Established Member
I'm posting in here just so I can get the feel from the 2011+ crowd. How many people would be interested in Custom boxes for their cars? Wood, fiberglass, bandpass etc. I'm just finishing up my personal box for my 2012. Will house 2 Alpine 10" Type R and a Alpine 5 Channel amp to power subs and speakers.

Progress pics... Ran out of resin and just to dam hot outside to finish. Will be done this week. Final result will be painted to match car with some mild airbrush artwork.

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

bmitchell373

Established Member
You can see in the middle pic, I have a vinyl plotter, so I can make custom stickers and paint masks too. It'll be finished my the end of the week.

kingnut

Established Member
not that i dont love low end. because i have had a system in almost every car. but i would go with a stealthbox in the 5.0. it would still put out a good grunt but have a usable trunk. or go with one 8" or 10" in a ported box. also i wouldnt want the added weight.

bmitchell373

Established Member
not that i dont love low end. because i have had a system in almost every car. but i would go with a stealthbox in the 5.0. it would still put out a good grunt but have a usable trunk. or go with one 8" or 10" in a ported box. also i wouldnt want the added weight.

I built it so its behind the break in the spare tire cover, so you can pull it all the way open and easily pull the spare out if ever needed. I can build any type box needed. I plan on building a second with forward facing subs. Might do the plexy glass window in the back with some artwork and LEDs. Would be good for someone with rear seat delete or wants a little more hard hitting systems with the seats down.

cdog1157

Established Member

Stealthbox puts out plenty and saves most of your trunk space but you can't get to your spare tire without unbolting and removing the sub <--found out the hard way after install, lol. Also, I couldn't imagine how much trunk rattle you'll have with 2 subs pointing at the trunk, I can only turn mine halfway up before every part of the car starts rattling. It helps to lower your back seats but still vibrates bolts loose on the car.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Looks good. I have always built all of my own boxes for my vehicles. I will be doing the same for my car as well. Mine will probably use the back of a seat delete(which I will also make) as the face for the subs and will probably only house 1 12" as I dont need anything crazy for my car. A cheap 12" and 200watt sub will do just fine for me while keeping weight and size down. If you really wanting some good sound you may consider adding a few baffles(cover the corners) and a splitter in the box before finishing it. But I'm just OCD like that, lol.

How many CF is the box? It looks like with a splitter it would work pretty well with a pair of 10's.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Looks good. I have always built all of my own boxes for my vehicles. I will be doing the same for my car as well. Mine will probably use the back of a seat delete(which I will also make) as the face for the subs and will probably only house 1 12" as I dont need anything crazy for my car. A cheap 12" and 200watt sub will do just fine for me while keeping weight and size down. If you really wanting some good sound you may consider adding a few baffles(cover the corners) and a splitter in the box before finishing it. But I'm just OCD like that, lol.

How many CF is the box? It looks like with a splitter it would work pretty well with a pair of 10's.

I will be as soon as I get the subs. Car payment comes first ugh lol. But optimum for a sealed box for type Rs is .65 per. so I will have 2 in there. Thinking about adding the fluffy stuff in between and add a small port in each of the baffles, dont know how it will affect, so Ill try it both ways.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I will be as soon as I get the subs. Car payment comes first ugh lol. But optimum for a sealed box for type Rs is .65 per. so I will have 2 in there. Thinking about adding the fluffy stuff in between and add a small port in each of the baffles, dont know how it will affect, so Ill try it both ways.

When I was doing sound competitions we always told people who didn't know if they should put ports in they're box's this: Port for quantity, sealed for quality.

I had Twin Cliff Design 15's in an extended cab Ranger. My port was 22"X21", lol. Sounded like crap BUT for a truck I could have the sub removed out of in 15minutes and be back in DD mode is hit 138.6db:rockon:

Its a good box and a good plan. Keep it up:beer:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
When I was doing sound competitions we always told people who didn't know if they should put ports in they're box's this: Port for quantity, sealed for quality.

I had Twin Cliff Design 15's in an extended cab Ranger. My port was 22"X21", lol. Sounded like crap BUT for a truck I could have the sub removed out of in 15minutes and be back in DD mode is hit 138.6db:rockon:

Its a good box and a good plan. Keep it up:beer:

You sir obviously no nothing about proper box design making this statement. A good bit of people have this misconception that sealed boxes are for sound quality and ported are just for loudness but in truth its ignorant. A properly designed ported enclosure can perform just as well or better than a properly designed sealed setup. A lot of vehicles that go to worlds competing in SQ classes run ported setups.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Prices???

Prices will vary, but for a flat face wood box. Wraped, 200+ fiberglass painted to match factory body colors, 450+

And for the ports vs not ports. Please let it go at your opinions! To each their own. As I said I plan on doing some tests on my 2 box designs and I will keep everyone updated.

11dsgGT

Established Member
I am looking for a sealed stealth box I could tuck in the right corner of the trunk. I have the sub and everything else needed for a full system, but noone besides JBL makes a box and theirs is way overpriced.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I may be interested, but really wanting something more low pro so I can maximize what trunk space I have. LOL

Would probably be close to your design, as I have 2 10" Kicker CVRs and a ZX750.1 amp.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
You sir obviously no nothing about proper box design making this statement. A good bit of people have this misconception that sealed boxes are for sound quality and ported are just for loudness but in truth its ignorant. A properly designed ported enclosure can perform just as well or better than a properly designed sealed setup. A lot of vehicles that go to worlds competing in SQ classes run ported setups.

I agree, BUT if someone has to ask that question then its pretty obvious they would not know how to build a box with the port in the right position with the right baffles in the box to achieve the proper sound. Going off your Sig Im sure you know that a lot of the task of making a good sounding ported box is location, size and depth. So my statement was a generalization for the average guy wanting to build his own box. If you know your stuff, then yes, you can make a very good SQ box with a port in it.:beer:

Edit: this does not pertain to the OP, I think hes got some good skills judging from the pics.

Last edited:

bmitchell373

Established Member
I may be interested, but really wanting something more low pro so I can maximize what trunk space I have. LOL

Would probably be close to your design, as I have 2 10" Kicker CVRs and a ZX750.1 amp.

I'll check on the specs of those, there is room to push them further back for most trunk space, I went with mine for the visual, but there is 6" I could go back with my setup. I'll do some checking and let you know tonight.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I need a custom box with 1.3 cu ft for my 12" JL W6V2. I'd love someone to make me one!!

Users who are viewing this thread