Custom Side exits??

Boosted0range

Established Member
I've always wanted a side exit exhaust...and never had the money to do it on my first car the v6...and i put subframe connectors on my 95, so that was out of the question...and i'd love to get some for the cobra.

Here's the delima. I am 100% keeping my bassani x pipe, and my slp loudmouths...so i just want to know and/or see pictures of people who did a custom side exit on their cobras.

Im not interested in the borla setups or any of that....just a simple headers to x pipe to resonators and a side exit of some sort.

I know the 1 guy on here has the red cobra with the roush side skirts...which looks pretty good imo...but im looking to try and avoid any new body panels or painting stuff....so yea....

Any thoughts good bad or anything you can come up with have at it ...all opinions are welcome

RS22

Established Member
Well first of all from what I've heard you can do side exhaust w/ SFCs if you get the right kind (see here).

Next, any exhaust shop that's not a bunch of idiots should be able to fashion exhaust tubing to go out of your mufflers and come out the side wherever you want it to (if you are looking for a Roush-ish side exhaust in front of the rear tires).

As for not adding any body panels to do the side exhaust I think you'll have to do something or else it will end up looking odd. But that's up to you. The 2000 Cobra R had a side exhaust but it looks weird to me since it doesn't fit into the side skirts, its just kinda there.

Boosted0range

Established Member
yeah i know about the notched subframes..i just meant i had put the normal subframes on that car before i decided i wanted a side exit and then i couldnt put the side exit on....My only thing is....i have no hangers on my x pipe....so its like the bottom of the headers is stable...and the part beyond the mufflers is stable but everything in the middle just hangs there

so i'd need to find a way to put something in there beyond the x pipe and where the pipes exit the side to hold it securly....hmmm

RS22

Established Member
yeah i know about the notched subframes..i just meant i had put the normal subframes on that car before i decided i wanted a side exit and then i couldnt put the side exit on....My only thing is....i have no hangers on my x pipe....so its like the bottom of the headers is stable...and the part beyond the mufflers is stable but everything in the middle just hangs there

so i'd need to find a way to put something in there beyond the x pipe and where the pipes exit the side to hold it securly....hmmm

Unless you are a master welder, I'd find a good exhaust shop and just tell them what you want to do and let them look at your current setup. They will come up with a creative and successful solution for your problem.

Post up how it goes if you do get the work done soon because I plan on getting the S3 Roush kit down the road but keeping my 2 chamber flowmaster mufflers. So I'll have to get some pipes fabricated to fit the side exhaust on my car as well.

Boosted0range

Established Member
yeaa that is starting to sound like the best thing to do...because without a pipe bender, its going to look like hell and it'll never turn out even on both sides using generic 45's and 90 degree bends or w/e i'd need...and there will be pictures for sure if i do it....

Boosted0range

Established Member
yeaa i do too...lol im just trying to be cheap and TRYING to keep from having to buy new side skirts and have em painted and such......Feelin me? but that is for sure badasss

Users who are viewing this thread