Currently own a '10 LS3 C6...thinking of switching to a 5.0. Opinions?

jakk127

Established Member
EDIT:eek:k, wow, this was way more than I thought I had typed. I have a real problem with that

TLDR: Bought a 2010 C6 LS3, overpaid for it, like the strip/street. Am afraid of the diff blowing up based on stories. Am considering trading it for a 5.0 as I have always liked/wanted a 13-14 5.0 and I could get a new one for the same remaining loan amount or less as the C6.

Hello,

I thought I would post here about my current dilemma as I lurk here pretty often and it seems like there are a number of guys who have owned or own a C6 and/or a stang. It also seems like a number of the people here are more brand/platform agnostic so I thought I'd get some thoughts and opinions on my current situation. So, here it goes. Sorry in advance if this is a lot of reading...

I've always wanted a 5.0 ever since the '13-'14s came out. I just love the look and overall styling of them, the way they sound, and the amount of things that can be changed/modded. Back in March, I was in the position of being able to buy a '14 GT/Premium/Track pack/Recaros-the exact combination that I wanted. I went ahead and put down a deposit as the car had to be brought over from another dealer.

In the mean time, I thought I'd look around and see what else I could get for around the same price as the 5.0 (would have been around $35k after rebates). I happened to find a 2010 1LT M6 C6 with 20k miles. Now, at the time, I thought this was a fair price based on some quick looking at NADA and KBB. I should also mention that I live in WI, and vettes seem to go for a premium here. There were 10 year old c5's that were going for 25-30k. I went in to look at the C6 and tried talking them down on price, which they wouldn't budge on. I sat in the car, took it for a test drive, and thought "lighter weight, better handling, LS3 with TR6060, what's not to love?" and ended up buying it and cancelling the order for the 5.0.

For the first month or two, I was happy about my decision. As time went on, however, I found myself looking at 5.0s passing by all the time and thinking "damn, that is one sexy car!", while I would look at my vette and just not get the same feeling. I don't know how to explain it really other than I guess I just love the retro styling of the '13-'14 that much.

Around this same time, I found that I had apparently overpaid a bit for the vette, probably on the order of $5k based on my research. That fact alone started making me hate myself, and ever since then everytime I look at the vette, I can't help but start hating myself for being so dumb and overpaying. Usually I am quite methodical and logical and mull over stuff for a while before purchasing, but for whatever reason with that vette I just kind of fell for it on the spot and bought it that night which came back to bite me. Lesson learned, the hard way.

My initial plan was to build out the vette eventually once it was paid off (is bone stock now) and supercharge it to be pushing around 620whp. I really don't do too much autox or road racing and am more of a street/strip guy. Well, after looking online I started to read all sorts of horror stories about breaking the C6 diffs at the track and just from harder launching in general. That really started to worry me as it seems like the parts to fix such a failure would be a few grand. Ouch.

So, then I started thinking that maybe a 5.0 is really more of the platform I want to build. The solid axle should be relatively bulletproof for the street/strip, and of course like I said I love the looks and sound. Of course, along with that I am trading weight (one of the main disadvantages to me), handling (like I said not huge to me as I'm mainly looking at street/strip use where I won't be able to push the limits that much), and a motor/trans combo that does not seem to be as strong (seems like the coyote is taking a chance after ~600whp or so based on what I have read, and the MT82 really needs no explanation).

I started taking the vette to a dealership and talking numbers to see what I could get on a trade and how it would all balance out vs. a 5.0. I also took it to carmax. I still owe a bit on the vette, so I had to take that into account as well. Like I said, I overpaid for the vette. The dealer offered me $27k for a trade in, carmax offered me $26k. The 5.0 configuration I was looking at was $36k or so (same as above). That would mean I was taking a $10k loss and my loan would go up! No way I was going to do that.

Well, a few days ago I found a base 5.0/track pack (no recaros) for $28k. Now, at this price depending on what the dealer will give me for the vette, I will either break even for the loan amount or be able to lower it a bit. I would still be loosing out over the original purchase price by quite a bit, but like I said I overpaid so not sure I can avoid that.

So, herein lies my dilemma:keep the C6, or trade it for a new 5.0? I'm going to to test drive the 5.0 tomorrow just to see how it feels acceleration wise and overall to the C6, and also to see if I like it as much as I think I would. It's not a premium and does not have recaros, but seeing as the vette is a 1LT and given the price I think I could live with that. The track pack was the main thing I wanted.

Part of me says, I'd be getting a brand new car and starting with a blank slate with the 5.0, which would be nice and a lot of fun. I can already see myself doing a bunch of smaller and more inexpensive mods on the 5.0 such as a line lock,suspension bits,etc as opposed to the vette which would be a larger purchase at one time. I would be able to customize a lot more on the 5.0.

So, given all of that information, I thought I would get a few opinions/thoughts here. On the one hand I have a car that is very light and has an engine/trans combo that has been proven at well over 600 whp with no issues. It seems like an obvious advantage from a modding standpoint On the other hand, the diff appears to be fragile and could start to get real expensive real quick. On the other hand I have a brand new 5.0, certainly no slouch when it comes to mods, has a solid rear, more weight, and appeals to me more from a looks/styling/personality standpoint.

Last edited:

jakk127

Established Member
sell the C6, get a GT500 :thumbsup:

Haha. The real tragedy is that, if I had been smarter, realized the C6 was overpriced, and kept my money and saved up a bit more till next spring/summer, I would probably have been able to swing a 11-12 GT500 pretty easily. Who knows about the 13-14, they'd probably be a bit too much then still. I would sell the C6 and get a GT500 or at least the 5.0 premium/track pack/recaros, but like I said I'm going to be taking such a loss based on how much I overpaid that I could probably use that amount to buy a centri kit for the C6.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I went through the same debate last week. Was either a used base LS3 car or a Premium Brembo 5.0 car brand new.

I went with the 5.0 mainly because it's cheaper to mod, more options, plus ford was running 0% financing on new cars.

jakk127

Established Member
I went through the same debate last week. Was either a used base LS3 car or a Premium Brembo 5.0 car brand new.

I went with the 5.0 mainly because it's cheaper to mod, more options, plus ford was running 0% financing on new cars.

Lucky!

I see you've owned an '04z. How does the 5.0 feel acceleration wise compared to it? Overall how do you like it compared to the z?

Like you said, the 5.0 is cheaper to mod to a point and has more options. ~2k-2500 for full exhaust,mild blower cam, and tune should get me to 460whp or so on the ls3 which would be respectable for the amount of money. FI the costs seem to be similar ad the kits for the 5.0 or LS3 are going to run around the same price from what I have seen. Everything else is cheaper for the 5.0. I love going to sites and seeing parts from the same vendor marked up $100-$600 for the vette "just because"

06Bluerex

Established Member
lol i was the same way when i bought my 5.0, buyers remorse. I wanted to trade mine in for a ls3 vette but after weeks of research and comparing i figured it would be cheaper for me to keep the 5.0 since parts are cheaper, my payments would be lower and on top of that i would be upside down on my next loan even though i had cash to put down to make up for that which i could use for a blower setup instead. a tuned catless mid pipe is only 700 bucks new and it runs probably even with a stock ls3. The 5.0's can handle 600rwhp with good gas and a good tune for a long time, the only way i would trade now is if its a c6 z06, c7 or a 13/14 gt500.

Hopefully you have some cash saved to put down otherwise you will be upside down on your loan no matter what but at least your driving something you really want and your monthly payments will be lower.
Life is short, drive what you want but also make sure it doesnt leave you in the hole financially.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
If you are a drag racer OP, just get an Auto 5.0 and call it a day. There have been tire and tune only auto 5.0s getting into 11s.
Now before I get called out, I will say it isnt the norm, but it is possible. Maybe a base brembo 5.0 would do the trick!

If you were in Cali I would let you test drive my 5.0, its an M6 (MGW), Premium, boss front, gt500 rear, 10k miles I'm selling for $29k.

bigblue95z

Established Member
I think you have HUGE buyers remorse on the c6. I don't think it's the c6 making you unhappy.... Like you mentioned, every time you look at it you think of how much you overpaid for it. I think that's the bigger deal than wanting a 5.0. If the vette turned out to be a good deal, you probably wouldn't be here. I think you're asking for something to break at 600whp no matter what platform it's in (c6 vs s197). If you're afraid to break it, leave it stock, look for a decent gt500 maybe. I would love to have a c6, and prob could have gotten one used instead of a new '14 w/trackpack, but I'll wait a few more years until I can drive it off the showroom floor.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I've owned both and I've had a lot of fun with both. When comparing my 11 and 12 5.0's to my standard C6 coupes, I would say that on a performance only benchmark, I'd actually have to give a slight nod towards the Mustangs.

Let me quantify that however with a few things. The biggest limiting factor of the C6 coupe is it's tires. The Eagle F1 runflats are abysmal at pretty much everything. Compared to the Perilli P-Zero's that come on the brembo equipped 5.0 Mustangs, those tires alone hobble the Corvette by comparison. From an acceleration standpoint, the vette is slightly faster in reality, but the mustang feels faster because of it's somewhat peaky powerband.

Interior comfort goes easily to the 5.0. It's had 5+ years of development over the C6 which generally speaking just had a couple finish improvements over the c5's interior. The Mustang does also have the virtue of seating two more. Not comfortably mind you, but it's available. The vette has loads more storage though.

Operating costs (Outside of vehicle pricing) go to the vette, but not by much. It doesn't use as much oil and it does better on fuel. Tires are a wash if you have the mustang with 19's.

With all that being said, put a good set of non RF tires on the C6 and it's easily 10x better in almost every way. Better ride, quieter ride, better handling, more predictable.

For me, if it's a second vehicle, I like the vette. If it's my only vehicle, I like the mustang. At the end of the day I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Jbstang87

Established Member
if you are a street strip guy, don't get the track pack. its torsen diff does not hold up to launches. Id just get a base model. recaros optional depending on you. 3.73s if you are doing NA. 3.31s if your boosting.

jakk127

Established Member
I think you have HUGE buyers remorse on the c6. I don't think it's the c6 making you unhappy.... Like you mentioned, every time you look at it you think of how much you overpaid for it. I think that's the bigger deal than wanting a 5.0. If the vette turned out to be a good deal, you probably wouldn't be here. I think you're asking for something to break at 600whp no matter what platform it's in (c6 vs s197). If you're afraid to break it, leave it stock, look for a decent gt500 maybe. I would love to have a c6, and prob could have gotten one used instead of a new '14 w/trackpack, but I'll wait a few more years until I can drive it off the showroom floor.

I think you are correct. If I had paid more what it was worth, I too think that I would be much happier with it.

It's stock engine wise but I found out it has z06 shocks,sways, and SS brake lines. It also has TSW nurburgrings with V12 evo's (305 rear) so in theory it should at least handle better than a stock c6 base.

I'm not afraid to break it once it's paid off (either car is going to stay stock engine wise until it's paid off).

The comment about the 5.0 with 3.73's feeling faster is interesting. I'll have to see how the one feels that I test drive. I'd rather have something that feels fast and is fun to drive over raw hp/numbers. I hadn't heard anything about the torsion diff not holding up to launches either, so that is interesting and I will have to look into it.

I know the auto is amazing, but this is my weekend/summer/fun car, and I want to keep it stick for that reason.

jakk127

Established Member
Haha I imagine it does.

Regarding the loan, I put down enough that I would make a "profit" that I could then apply towards the 5.0, even at the abysimal offers I have gotten so far from dealers. The question becomes if the (price+ttl)-"profit"<= my current loan. If it is then I would consider it, if not like has been the case so far forget it. I'm not going to put myself upside down/in the hole for a car.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Haha I imagine it does.

Regarding the loan, I put down enough that I would make a "profit" that I could then apply towards the 5.0, even at the abysimal offers I have gotten so far from dealers. The question becomes if the (price+ttl)-"profit"<= my current loan. If it is then I would consider it, if not like has been the case so far forget it. I'm not going to put myself upside down/in the hole for a car.

Unfortuantely, right now, you're going to lose your ass on the C6. There are several dealers that still have quite a bit of Brand new C6 stock. You can get brand new 1LT coupes in the low 30's out the door right now. If I had to take a guess, dealers are offering you in the upper teens to lower 20's range?

I've lost tons of money on cars and ultimately my advise is always to do what makes you happy. If you're unhappy with the car and don't care about a couple thousand dollars, then move on it. However my advise to you would be to keep the C6. It's a fantastic automobile! I'd address a few things that hurt the drivability like the tires and skip-shift if you've got a manual. Then go out and drive the wheels off of it! Make it live up to what you paid for it!

But think of it this way, if you've got buyers remorse now because of a bad deal, how are you going to feel by making that deal worse by selling the bad deal for pennies?

jakk127

Established Member
Unfortuantely, right now, you're going to lose your ass on the C6. There are several dealers that still have quite a bit of Brand new C6 stock. You can get brand new 1LT coupes in the low 30's out the door right now. If I had to take a guess, dealers are offering you in the upper teens to lower 20's range?

I've lost tons of money on cars and ultimately my advise is always to do what makes you happy. If you're unhappy with the car and don't care about a couple thousand dollars, then move on it. However my advise to you would be to keep the C6. It's a fantastic automobile! I'd address a few things that hurt the drivability like the tires and skip-shift if you've got a manual. Then go out and drive the wheels off of it! Make it live up to what you paid for it!

But think of it this way, if you've got buyers remorse now because of a bad deal, how are you going to feel by making that deal worse by selling the bad deal for pennies?

Wow, I had no idea that there was still stock left available like that. There certainly isn't around here. I'm being offered $26-27k, so yeah loosing my ass would be accurate lol. I'm most likely going to sit on it over the winter and see how I feel next year unless I can get some crazy deal on this other 5.0 which is doubtful. I hopefully be in a 5.0 or GT500 someday, just not sure when that day will be and wish I had just gotten a 5.0 from the start. I really have no interest in the s550 due to looks and the IRS, but who knows maybe it will grow on me.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Wow, I had no idea that there was still stock left available like that. There certainly isn't around here. I'm being offered $26-27k, so yeah loosing my ass would be accurate lol. I'm most likely going to sit on it over the winter and see how I feel next year unless I can get some crazy deal on this other 5.0 which is doubtful. I hopefully be in a 5.0 or GT500 someday, just not sure when that day will be and wish I had just gotten a 5.0 from the start. I really have no interest in the s550 due to looks and the IRS, but who knows maybe it will grow on me.

If you're being offered 26-27k for a 2010 1LT with 20k miles, I'd jump all over that shit! Unless you find the guy that just doesn't know anything about Corvettes, you can't even sell it outright for that right now. If you're serious, those are the best numbers you're going to see. They may stabilize around those prices in a year or two, but I'd expect to see those prices go down further in the near term.

For what you're wanting to do, now is the best time. You can get a 14 5.0 for invoice + incentives (of which there's quite a few) and crazy financing as well. 0% for 72 in some cases.

As far as dealer stock, I know Kerbeck and Boardwalk have TONS of C6's on the lot. I want to say last I checked Boardwalk had over 100. I've been seriously considering taking the plunge on a 1LT GS.

jakk127

Established Member
If you're being offered 26-27k for a 2010 1LT with 20k miles, I'd jump all over that shit! Unless you find the guy that just doesn't know anything about Corvettes, you can't even sell it outright for that right now. If you're serious, those are the best numbers you're going to see. They may stabilize around those prices in a year or two, but I'd expect to see those prices go down further in the near term.

For what you're wanting to do, now is the best time. You can get a 14 5.0 for invoice + incentives (of which there's quite a few) and crazy financing as well. 0% for 72 in some cases.

As far as dealer stock, I know Kerbeck and Boardwalk have TONS of C6's on the lot. I want to say last I checked Boardwalk had over 100. I've been seriously considering taking the plunge on a 1LT GS.

I took it into carmax the other day and still have their offer of $26k. I really wonder if it is a regional thing. Here's a listing for stuff around me. I should have paid $30-$32k based on the research I did.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...E718E7BBC0C01CFA0DC537&showToolbar=true&Log=0

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Even base corvettes shouldnt be relegated to straight lines only.

If you are looking for a street/strip car, id definitely go with a coyote over one.

Users who are viewing this thread