Curing our country's financial crisis

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
Why can't we be a "self-sustaining" nation? By that I mean why can't we just shut ourselves off from other countries and produce everything here in America? (I understand there will be SOME things that we have to get elsewhere but the bulk of everything that is made is what I'm getting at.) I just keep thinking that it would really suck to make that transition for quite a few years but in the end it would be beneficial. All the talk we here anymore is about costs driving the price up yada yada yada... But wouldn't you be willing to pay more for something if you knew if was made by someone in your own country that is employed and providing for their family too? Believe me, I understand it is a very close minded thought, but the principal is what I'm getting at. Can we not stop our dependence on everything outside this country because of outside political agendas?

I'm really not trying to start and argument, but am I wrong in thinking this way???

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Its kinda of impossible, globalization is the result of capitalism (or crony capitalism in this case). We have states competing for jobs, when in reality they should be working together to maintain jobs across the board. No state can compete with China when it comes down to labor rates. If states joined initiatives to restores jobs as a collective then we would be better positioned to dominate in a global market. Between politicians lobbying and bragging "I took those jobs from Iowa and brought them to Texas" etc.....they should be formulating a nationwide plan.

It also doesn't help that politicians are now saying that corporations are people. They are not. Citizens do not get huge tax breaks, incentives/bailouts etc....... They say " well if we weren't taxed so much we could create jobs"...well its a FACT that taxation is at its lowest in 50+ years...where are the jobs? It's not totally governments fault but we trust businesses on their word and neglect to remember that they are businesses and not individuals. Their sole purpose is to increase the bottom line/profit. Lobbying for lenient taxation (in theory is good) but hurts the economy when business don't fulfill their promises.

Michigan is a prime example, from about 1991-1999/2000 Michigan decreased taxation on businesses and regulation. Michigan was 46 out of 50 in terms of size of government and business taxation, business still left in flocks for other states. So I don't fully buy into the "let them regulate themselves" because they have proven more than not that they cannot be trusted.

Businesses are also leaving the states because of healthcare cost, providing healthcare is a HUGE expense to businesses and another excuse to outsource labor. Which is why I can't for the life of me understand why they don't want the OPTION (not forceful enrollment as many assume) for universal healthcare. It would lighten the burden significantly for small businesses. I know because I was recently 1099'ed. While they offered me more pay and the option to work at home, I now have no benefits through the job and had my brother put me on his. No big deal to me as the pay more than compensated but what about those who earn far less than I? For a lower -middle income individual, healthcare cost for a business can sometimes equate to the salary they pay a low wage worker. Makes no sense how hypocritical some voters are.

My parents had approximately 27 employees at their restaurants. The cost to provide healthcare for someone who made 7.50/hr was somewhere near 6k/year. A universal healthcare OPTION would have allowed them to pay employees a bit more and actually stay open instead of selling it at a loss. All employees were citizens of the US I might add.

Last edited:

vinnycobra03

Established Member
Just comes down to one thing... oil. Our nation runs on oil, but I can say cars like the volt, and the leaf, are only going to help us out. Since the volt is starting to come out, gas prices have been going down. I agree with you totally on having to try and manufacture more things and purchase more things in country. (This will only help create jobs, and keep jobs).

DefCon3

Established Member
Why can't we be a "self-sustaining" nation? By that I mean why can't we just shut ourselves off from other countries and produce everything here in America? (I understand there will be SOME things that we have to get elsewhere but the bulk of everything that is made is what I'm getting at.) I just keep thinking that it would really suck to make that transition for quite a few years but in the end it would be beneficial. All the talk we here anymore is about costs driving the price up yada yada yada... But wouldn't you be willing to pay more for something if you knew if was made by someone in your own country that is employed and providing for their family too? Believe me, I understand it is a very close minded thought, but the principal is what I'm getting at. Can we not stop our dependence on everything outside this country because of outside political agendas?

I'm really not trying to start and argument, but am I wrong in thinking this way???

When our economy was based on agriculture, we could get away with being totally self-sufficient. Even then we exported natural resources in trade for manufactured goods.

Today, we are in a post-industrial economy, and deal more in information. Other countries have the bulk of resources and manufacturing; we absolutely must trade to survive. Unless you want to go back to the horse and buggy days.

DefCon3

Established Member
Just comes down to one thing... oil. Our nation runs on oil, but I can say cars like the volt, and the leaf, are only going to help us out. Since the volt is starting to come out, gas prices have been going down. I agree with you totally on having to try and manufacture more things and purchase more things in country. (This will only help create jobs, and keep jobs).

Are you suggesting a cause and effect relationship? GM just announced it will soon start to build the Volt in China.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
This certainty would work. I mean, just check out how awesome North Korea is...

But I think Mike pretty much nailed it on the head. You can blame most of the issues like everything else on the corrupted government and corporate big wigs.

Last edited:

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
When our economy was based on agriculture, we could get away with being totally self-sufficient. Even then we exported natural resources in trade for manufactured goods.

Today, we are in a post-industrial economy, and deal more in information. Other countries have the bulk of resources and manufacturing; we absolutely must trade to survive. Unless you want to go back to the horse and buggy days.

Very true, we have to ability to provide Healthcare/Engineering as a service to other countries for a premium. That's what we need to focus on, high scale services. We are still the innovators in most aspects.

On another note, Urbanization would help considerably with the foreign oil dilemma. New York and San Francisco do this very well. They promote a health walking/bike culture and the mass transit is amazing. But alas everyone HAS to have a 5000+sqr ft house in the suburbs, instead of re-purposing historical buildings into unique living spaces. I HATE seeing cookie cutter suburban houses. Urban sprawl is the cancer of this earth in my opinion.

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
American pride only exist in a small percentage of people now. The majority could care less if a product is made in the states. It is all about the dollar. If you put two blenders side by side, and clearly note one is made in the USA for $75, and the same made in Japan for $30. Which will sell more?

Too many companies outsource the majority of products. Becoming self sufficient is a pipe dream.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
American pride only exist in a small percentage of people now. The majority could care less if a product is made in the states. It is all about the dollar. If you put two blenders side by side, and clearly note one is made in the USA for $75, and the same made in Japan for $30. Which will sell more?

Too many companies outsource the majority of products. Becoming self sufficient is a pipe dream.

I own my own business, I agree with this 100%!!! I am 31 yrs old and I think my generation may be the last one with any sort of "pride" at all (what little bit is there.) I see people 20yrs old and under walking the streets everyday that makes me want to put a gun to my head because I can only imagine how f'd up this nation is going to be in another 15-20 years

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
There is little hope. My nephew (17) is the only sign of hope I have seen for the younger generation. Mainly because his parents (and I in small ways) have done well teaching him to be self reliant and work for what he wants in life. Kid is smart as hell, and wants serve and be a SEAL after graduating. Then attend college after.

I'm 26, and I can't stand most people my age. It amazes me the level of dependency, and entitlement grown adults have. Sadly I foresee no change in this mentality.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Very true, we have to ability to provide Healthcare/Engineering as a service to other countries for a premium. That's what we need to focus on, high scale services. We are still the innovators in most aspects.

On another note, Urbanization would help considerably with the foreign oil dilemma. New York and San Francisco do this very well. They promote a health walking/bike culture and the mass transit is amazing. But alas everyone HAS to have a 5000+sqr ft house in the suburbs, instead of re-purposing historical buildings into unique living spaces. I HATE seeing cookie cutter suburban houses. Urban sprawl is the cancer of this earth in my opinion.

Doesnt work for most people.

To live that life id have to ditch a few hobbies that I enjoy.

I do know of a few people that have sold their homes and moved to the inner cities but they are mostly older and nearing retirement so they dont have the need to work on their car in their garage or like not having to do yardwork. It sounds nice, but im not at that point in my life yet.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Doesnt work for most people.

To live that life id have to ditch a few hobbies that I enjoy.

I do know of a few people that have sold their homes and moved to the inner cities but they are mostly older and nearing retirement so they dont have the need to work on their car in their garage or like not having to do yardwork. It sounds nice, but im not at that point in my life yet.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

While there are a few older couples where I live, most are young professionals. People retire and move to the burbs for the more often than not. Hell, I know people who sit in traffic for an hour and a half, just because they were able to get a good deal on a house. Meanwhile they bitch every day about traffic, gas prices and their not being enough "to do" where they live. Makes no sense to me and seems like a very lackluster lifestyle. Not to mention inner city homes tend to be far more unique. In my building there are 96 different loft models so no one is the same. It use to be an old cookie factory that's been converted. I'm 2 blocks from Minute Maid arena (where the ASStros play), 4 blocks from midtown, 8 blocks from Montrose area where a large portion of authentic restaurants are. I can walk just about anywhere and there's a metro line (albeit crappy, Houston's mass transit initiative is horrible) 3 blocks away. I haven't had a need to drive in over 2 months but not having a car out here is unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread