Cup Holder

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
So as I was on my way to work last week you know what I realized?

Our cup holders don't hold energy drinks worth a shit. :cuss:
Needless to say I was forced to chug the damn thing in one sitting, which cause a massive stomach ache.

My question is, is there any cup holder insert avaliable for our cars? Something like the 98's dual holders would be nice.

Alot like this: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/30079/index.html

Only thing with that, is I am NOT about to go chopping away at my center counsel and doing something horribly irreversible to a collectors car.

Any links or ideas would be great, thanks all.

Mustanger

Established Member
I JUST finished putting a 98 console in my 94 so I could have cupholders! I love it! The only drawback is a large cup WILL interfere with your shifter (Steeda TriAx) in second & 4th gear a bit...not ideal for fast shifting/racing etc...but I still am glad I did it! I wonder if the Roush retro shifter handle will give me better clearance? Hmmmm....

If I wanted to eliminate the power point receptacle at the rear of the console I could have used the 94 inner basket with the pullout cupholder too..still thinking on that one.

While the console was out I ran my Ipod cable underneath, drilled a hole for it to enter the storage area, now everything is out of sight!

SLOWNED

Established Member
I had just the cupholder part of the 98 console and cut out the ashtray of my 97 and just fit in the cupholders. It wasnt too hard, probably a 2 hour job max.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Hold it between your legs, like everyone else ... except for coffee. Or keep it in your left hand, until you're done shifting. I did this for dozens of years, and never whined about it. JK :)

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Does anyone know if an 04 console would fit? Also, I have heard that after 98 (I think) they switched from black to charcoal interior. I have found one for sale, guy says it is black. Did they have the same black interior color in 04 as the 96's? If not, how hard would it be to paint to match, and how much to do so? Thanks.

Last edited:

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I had just the cupholder part of the 98 console and cut out the ashtray of my 97 and just fit in the cupholders. It wasnt too hard, probably a 2 hour job max.

where did you get the cupholder? I would be interested in doing this, instead of swapping the entire console out.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Show some love for our transformers cup holder/smooth console and stop drinking energy drinks, they're bad for you anyway :)

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Does anyone know if an 04 console would fit? Also, I have heard that after 98 (I think) they switched from black to charcoal interior. I have found one for sale, guy says it is black. Did they have the same black interior color in 04 as the 96's? If not, how hard would it be to paint to match, and how much to do so? Thanks.

bolt in fit, yes... not the same black, so the color wont match. BUT, you can dye it to match.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
There are spots where cups fit. My favorite is between the door and drivers seat... When it's shut, there's a nice sized opening where you can store a larger cup or drink. I hate the cup holders in my 98... the useful one sits right below 2nd and 4th gear (good luck with a stock shifter) and the other cup holder has the side portion cut out for what I'm assuming is for a coffee cup, but all it does is make anything fall out of it the first time you make a left turn.

I swear that freakin mokeys designed the cup holders and locations in these cars.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of that.

Show some love for our transformers cup holder/smooth console and stop drinking energy drinks, they're bad for you anyway :)

:lol1: That holder is so flimsy I don't even use it.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
hahaha wow I honestly didn't think this thread would generate so much attention.

Hold it between your legs, like everyone else ... except for coffee. Or keep it in your left hand, until you're done shifting. I did this for dozens of years, and never whined about it. JK :)

hahaha your more then right, but you know us kids these days, we have to have every little convenience.

I won't eat or drink in my car anyway.

I generally keep this policy but lately I've made some exceptions..........

Show some love for our transformers cup holder/smooth console and stop drinking energy drinks, they're bad for you anyway

Ah yes, this is very true. Maybe I should use my cupholder for a bottle of vitamin B6? Haha no seriously though I think they are one of the worst things you can put in your body besides maybe pure acetone. but boy oh boy do they work at the job when you were out til 3 in the morning the night before!

good responses all, I guess I am just going to have to bring a capped plastic soda bottle and pour everything into it and just keep it in my passenger seat. I defenitely did notice also that even with the stock cupholder, I am having some shifting issues.... damn fords :D

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yeah, I'm afraid you're right, "Damned Fords". Those cup holders just don't make it. In my '95, one of those convenience store cups of coffee was just a "sitting duck" for a quick shift to 2nd, or 4th gear. To drive and drink requires a certain amount of skill and dexderity, but I had it mastered, as long as some Texass idiot didn't jump lanes in front of me (hands flying all over the cockpit, grabbing the coffee, etc.). I was actually well skilled in driving, shifting, drinking coffee, and smoking - all at the same time. :banana:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I have the cupholder mod done to my 96 - it's not bad. I used a rubber strip around the area where it was cut to seal so the cupholder isn't loose. I also have a smaller insert with a lid where you can put change, lighter, engery drink. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread