Cummins fined $1.675b for emissions

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Crazy, almost the same amount Wells Fargo got fined for ****ing over 16mil people with their shady ass banking practices.

making this agreement critical to advancing our environmental justice agenda

Curious on what Cummins was doing.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep voting D and establishment R. They will make everything better. Also have a beer with your friend that does so. He is just misguided.

Adower

Established Member
WASHINGTON, Dec 22 (Reuters) - Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

The Department said Cummins allegedly installed so-called "defeat devices" to bypass or disable emissions controls such as emission sensors and onboard computers

The department said Cummins used defeat devices on 630,000 2013 to 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines and undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines to cheat emissions control requirements.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said "preliminary estimates suggest that defeat devices on some Cummins engines have caused them to produce thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides." It is the second largest environmental penalty deal ever reached, the department said

More here
That’s some bullshit. One cruise ship sailing around probably emits more pollutants than all those vehicles combined.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I read the story, and I haven't seen what they are actually claiming the "defeat device" was. I'm guessing it's just software related. Sorta like you can cut off the dpf and the truck will run fine, but just throw a check engine light.

I believe so, probably used/left some development code in the software from Bosch or another supplier. Ridiculous!
I finally got around to reading the article last night and I believe you guys are right, if 1.6 Billion was the "settlement" I without admitting fault I wonder what the original amount Mother Earth was after since she is the plaintiff and all. Either way she is about to be rich, wonder what she will spend all her new found money on???

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin.

They are only trying to give the CONSUMER what they WANT, in spite of the gov't getting in the way and doing everything they can to put you out of business.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Such Gestapo tactics make me wonder if anyone kicking around the idea of a tune should buy one sooner rather than later even for vehicles where emissions are not bypassed or relaxed.

How long before the government attempts to put all tuners OOB?

Then you get an ATF style letter because they tracked the financial records showing you bought a tune...

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I finally got around to reading the article last night and I believe you guys are right, if 1.6 Billion was the "settlement" I without admitting fault I wonder what the original amount Mother Earth was after since she is the plaintiff and all. Either way she is about to be rich, wonder what she will spend all her new found money on???

Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations. 42 U.S.C. § 7524; 40 C.F.R. § 19.4. The EPA often uses the Mobile Source Civil Penalty Policy to arrive at an appropriate civil penalty for vehicle and engine enforcement settlements.

So EPA is claiming 1 Million vehicles x $45k per vehicle, so $45 billion?

Users who are viewing this thread