CTSV vs 5.0

ramstein

Established Member
Was driving on a deserted Mexican road and all of sudden 13-14 mustang with wide tires pulled out on the highway ahead of me. I was hoping for GT 500 but after I caught up with him I realized it was a coyote with loud exhaust. We stopped at the light and I turned my TC off, put the A6 and suspension into the sport mode. Light turned green and he took off slowly, but started going faster and louder until he gave it all he had around 40mph. I was ready for it and hit it immediately after him. Automatic transmission seamlessly shifted in 3rd and I pulled him hard about 4 cars, with his car disappearing in my rearview mirror more and more until he shut down. He followed me but never expressed any more interest.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I basically have two mods that make power.. offroad X and a Tune. I have beaten two different (I believe stock) CTS-V although the races were very close I was shocked to pull them both on the top end. My buddy owned one of them and we ran 5 times.. 4 from a 45 roll and one from a light. Destroyed him off the light even tho we both spun badly. From a roll I got him about a car each time. I'm a car guy not a brand nut hugger.. I love the CTS-V cars and respect what they are capable of. That said it takes very little to make a 5.0 out run a stock CTS-V which cost double or more it's price. If you ran an exhaust only 5.0 I don't doubt you ran off from it. Most stock auto's are low low 13's which can be made loud and still not run any better lol.. believe me I know.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I must suck at driving because my roommates auto ctsv beat my stock gt500 which I assume makes more power than your gt.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I must suck at driving because my roommates auto ctsv beat my stock gt500 which I assume makes more power than your gt.

A stock 07/09 gt500 on street tire is a mid to high 12 second car. 113-116 mph trap. Add in a pully/tune, midpipe, intake, and slick different story.

bunits19714

Established Member
I'm going to go with You just suck at driving- First step is just admitting it - now you can recover!

Last edited:

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
I have both cars.. While the V is fast.. Against a 5.0, the race would not end with the CTS-V pulling away.. My 5.0 with full bolt-on's runs with my V.. Taking the win most races..

Chase_

Established Member
I have not owned both but my A6 2011 was damn quick. It had some very basic mods (upper/lower pulley, intake, Ls7 TB, cooling mods, injectors, BAP, and e85). Stock heads, blower, cam, suspension, and exhuast. It's all in the trans tune with those cars. I pulled on a full exhaust Gen V Viper, 2.8 KB Cobra, Bolt on c6z's, and went door to door with a stock c7z. I was very impressed with that car and I'm 100% sure it would pull on my stock 13 gt500 (maybe not after the 4.10s). BUT, it is not the car for me. Other than the Recaros, the interior felt cheap, the entertainment system felt like it was from the early 2000s, and it just didn't give me that "race car" feel that I crave like for every time I sit in the drivers seat. Just two totally different cars. Not to mention, it is very hard to beat the sound of a Mustang with full exhaust. In the end, Shelby GT500=Muscle Car > CTS-V=Luxury car. Just my .02

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I basically have two mods that make power.. offroad X and a Tune. I have beaten two different (I believe stock) CTS-V although the races were very close I was shocked to pull them both on the top end. My buddy owned one of them and we ran 5 times.. 4 from a 45 roll and one from a light. Destroyed him off the light even tho we both spun badly. From a roll I got him about a car each time. I'm a car guy not a brand nut hugger.. I love the CTS-V cars and respect what they are capable of. That said it takes very little to make a 5.0 out run a stock CTS-V which cost double or more it's price. If you ran an exhaust only 5.0 I don't doubt you ran off from it. Most stock auto's are low low 13's which can be made loud and still not run any better lol.. believe me I know.

I can see him pulling from a standard tune/offroad mid 5.0 with his mods, and if it was exhaust only I can easily see multiple car lenths. I'm tune only and run pretty much dead even with stock CTS-V sedans and believe it or not 5th gen Camaro Z/28s on highway pulls (all the way to 150+)

Cumbersome101

Established Member
That's cool dude. Let me go to a gm forum junk and remind people how my 94 svt eats everything gm has to offer.
With half of the recall list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm going to go with You just suck at driving- First step is just admitting it - now you can recover!

crying-gif9_zps1comdady.gif

I have us on video running. Don't think I did anything wrong.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I can see him pulling from a standard tune/offroad mid 5.0 with his mods, and if it was exhaust only I can easily see multiple car lenths. I'm tune only and run pretty much dead even with stock CTS-V sedans and believe it or not 5th gen Camaro Z/28s on highway pulls (all the way to 150+)

Stock CTSV should pull a stock Z28. And a stock CTSV should RAPE a stock 11+5.0. OP's CTSV is not stock and thus pulled a unknown modded GT.

Congrats OP on your kill. It makes sense to me.

Slow Five-O

Established Member
There is no reason a new ctsv shouldn't pull a bolt on 5.0. They make a lot more power.

I pulled what I thought was a CTSV not too long ago. I'm CAI tune and axle backs. It happened twice and it left me wondering why. Haha.

After some looking what I didn't know is they make a CTSVsport. It's a ctsv with an ATS engine. Twin turbo v6. So I'm assuming that is what I raced.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
There is no reason a new ctsv shouldn't pull a bolt on 5.0. They make a lot more power.

I pulled what I thought was a CTSV not too long ago. I'm CAI tune and axle backs. It happened twice and it left me wondering why. Haha.

After some looking what I didn't know is they make a CTSVsport. It's a ctsv with an ATS engine. Twin turbo v6. So I'm assuming that is what I raced.

That would be a gen 3 CTSV or CTSVsport. They run mid 12's or better with just a tune.

Users who are viewing this thread