Cts-V vs C6Z

Quik Z06

Established Member
A friend of mine just picked up his Z and he wanted me to take it for a spin to see what I thought. Anyway, we ended up driving each-others cars since he hadn't been in my V since I modded it. I haven't really run anything fast since the mods, so it was nice to see how it would do vs the Z.

Not sure what gear he started in, I'd assume 3rd. My V is auto, but I put it in sport mode and paddle shifted it down to 3rd. He honked it off, and on the 3rd honk we both took off pretty even. I started to slowly walk him until about 110, then it looked like he gained a bit on me then I stopped his pull and started to gain on him. Looked like I was up about 2.5-3 cars when we let off. I didn't notice the speed we got up to but he said he hit 160, I thought we were in the 140 range, but who knows. Anyway just a friendly run, glad I could get that run in to see how my car is running. He's looking to add heads, cam, headers soon, so should be a beast. I'll be doing heads and cam as well, so would be interesting to see what happens then.

kw_rc

Established Member
I like both cars for similar reasons. They are each great looking cars that exude power. Their stance sets them apart from rivals. They both handle well and they both make great power. Enjoy the modding!

tvspower

Established Member
OP What rpm does the v shift at?? Also in 3rd gear, what rpm were you starting at??

39Mustang

Established Member
A friend of mine just picked up his Z and he wanted me to take it for a spin to see what I thought. Anyway, we ended up driving each-others cars since he hadn't been in my V since I modded it. I haven't really run anything fast since the mods, so it was nice to see how it would do vs the Z.

Not sure what gear he started in, I'd assume 3rd. My V is auto, but I put it in sport mode and paddle shifted it down to 3rd. He honked it off, and on the 3rd honk we both took off pretty even. I started to slowly walk him until about 110, then it looked like he gained a bit on me then I stopped his pull and started to gain on him. Looked like I was up about 2.5-3 cars when we let off. I didn't notice the speed we got up to but he said he hit 160, I thought we were in the 140 range, but who knows. Anyway just a friendly run, glad I could get that run in to see how my car is running. He's looking to add heads, cam, headers soon, so should be a beast. I'll be doing heads and cam as well, so would be interesting to see what happens then.

How does the CTS-V drive as a luxury car regardless of the performance? I was going to buy a new GT350 but since Ford lives in the dark ages and won't offer it with an Automatic like every other performance car I now am leading towards buying a 2016 CTS-V. The performance I'm sure is great but is the ride quality killed due to the stiff chassis to handle the now 650hp? If I'm going to buy a 4-door then I want a hot rod sedan but at certain times want that extreme nice cruising comfort and not stiff as a brick like my Mustangs which I like in those. Two of the German's offer AWD so that's huge factor

Quik Z06

Established Member
Nice run. At first I thought you were driving the Z. haha. Anything done to the Z?

His Z is bone stock. I figured it would be a good run because of the huge weight difference. My car is making 543whp so I knew I wouldn't pull him hard if at all.

OP What rpm does the v shift at?? Also in 3rd gear, what rpm were you starting at??

In "sport mode" it shifts at about 6k rpm. In 3rd gear (keep in mind it's auto) I was abou 38-4k rpm.

How does the CTS-V drive as a luxury car regardless of the performance? I was going to buy a new GT350 but since Ford lives in the dark ages and won't offer it with an Automatic like every other performance car I now am leading towards buying a 2016 CTS-V. The performance I'm sure is great but is the ride quality killed due to the stiff chassis to handle the now 650hp? If I'm going to buy a 4-door then I want a hot rod sedan but at certain times want that extreme nice cruising comfort and not stiff as a brick like my Mustangs which I like in those. Two of the German's offer AWD so that's huge factor

I can't speak for the 2016 as mine is a 2010, but I love the way mine rides. You can select "sport mode" for the suspension which makes it a lot firmer for cornering etc, but makes it rougher riding. In "touring mode" it's smooth and still handles better than most people would ever need. Your best bet is going to be to dive it. Comfortable for me may not mean the same to you.

And I assume that all this racing was done down in Mexico, right?

Of course!! Everyone knows Mexico has the best roads for getting a few quick pulls in!

A few pics from last night.

image.jpg3_zpsuelutyqc.jpg

image.jpg2_zpstzstfdyr.jpg

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

I had a 2010 ctsv and it was the absolute best daily driver I had experienced--hands down. Super comfort, amazing on long commutes. My Audi is even better, but the Audi is double what I paid for the v. My caddy was stock. Only complaints I had was the small gas tank combined with the 6 speed auto. The car would have been perfect with the 8 speed and a 22 gallon tank

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Hey 39Mustang, I figured I’d chime in real quick. I just sold my 14 1LE so I can pick up a 13 CTS-V SEDAN AUTO.

I bought the car without seeing it (in person) and not test driving one... ( I like risk lol )

Anyway, it's a great car to daily drive, buttttt the 13mpg (if you're lucky) is terrible. The seats are really firm (doubt they are much firmer than a GT350) so there is that. The interior is nice for a 2009 generation GM. My main complaints are (first world complaints mind you) there are no front parking sensors, no Bluetooth (CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS!?), iPhone doesn't work with the infotainment, and the mirrors do not auto-adjust when backing up. Also there is no rear screen for the rear window to protect from UV rays. Last but not least, the roof liner is 2009 GM.

Now that I have the complaints out of the way, let me say the car is a rocket. The transmission surprisingly shifts nice and hard in sport and the handling is on par with a vette. I put my 1LE at a 9/10 in handling, and I would give my CTS-V a solid 8. To put things in perspective, my old 2012 5.0 would get a 6/10 with eibachs.

But yea, for the money, you cannot beat what the CTS-V offers (today). For 40k, you can find a fully loaded CTS-V with decent mileage. I just added a AIRRAID yesterday and the SC screams. For the record, I was going to get a E90 M3, but after test driving a local one, I picked the CTS-V; again without even test driving it. lol

OP: I've always been curious how a CTS-V in stock form would stack up against a z06. It appears you need a few mods to get the lead. Makes sense

Last edited:

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
I had a 2010 ctsv and it was the absolute best daily driver I had experienced--hands down. Super comfort, amazing on long commutes. My Audi is even better, but the Audi is double what I paid for the v. My caddy was stock. Only complaints I had was the small gas tank combined with the 6 speed auto. The car would have been perfect with the 8 speed and a 22 gallon tank

The 6l90 takes a beating and keeps on ticking, is the new 8 speed that much better? I certaintly agree with the ridiculously small gas tank.

Last edited:

ramstein

Established Member
Good kill. I have been wanting to race a stock Z. What power are you making with your mods? Did you just shifted with paddles or use "Tap Tap" method?

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Good kill. I have been wanting to race a stock Z. What power are you making with your mods? Did you just shifted with paddles or use "Tap Tap" method?

Making 543. They wanted to ice down the blower and get another pull since they were relatively back to back. I told them don't bother because to me that's not a true number. If I'm out messing around, it's not like I'm going to ice down my blower before a run. They said it could have made another 15-20hp, but I'm to worried about it, it runs great. Keep in mind we only run crappy 91 too, so our numbers in Cali are always lower than everyone else. I used the tap tap method, best way obviously when roll racing. I'm hoping come spring I'll be able to port the blower/snout and add heads/cam...should be fun!!

Here's the Dyno pull. image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread