Cruise control quit working, ideas please

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Cruise control quit working. The fuse is good so I know it's getting power. The cable to the throttle body and electrical connections are fine. Car only has 23K on the odometer and I never used the CC much in the past so I don't believe it is worn out. It just occurred to me as I was writing this that there was a clutch peddle switch that I had to unplug and remove when I installed a clutch peddle lowering kit. The switch linkage would no longer align with the clutch peddle arm so I had to remove it. I always thought the switch only served to prevent the car from being started unless the clutch was disengaged. Now I'm wondering if it also provide a signal to the cruise control module??? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

Cobra52898

Established Member
i could be wrong but i am pretty sure it shuts off the cruise if you press the clutch pedal. its very sensitive too, trust me! i use my cruise control a lot!
As I think about it, it does make sense that the switch would disable cruise control with the clutch disengeged else it would continue to open the throttle as the car started loosing speed while coasting. With no load it could easily over rev the engine.

bornatiger

Established Member
As I think about it, it does make sense that the switch would disable cruise control with the clutch disengeged else it would continue to open the throttle as the car started loosing speed while coasting. With no load it could easily over rev the engine.
I thought something broke the first time i brushed across the clutch pedal with my foot(getting comfortable in the seat) while going down the highway. Once i figured out what happened i tested it a few times. Thats how i found out just how sensitive that damn sensor is.

gapl1953

Not sure if serious.:dw:

As silly as it sounds I am serious. Come to find there are a lot of cars that have it as such. It was explained to me that they have it that way so you can tell when the third brake light is burned out. I'm a old timer so maybe it's called something else now, but it's the single high brake light. It happened to me the cruise stopped working one day. I checked everything and couldn't find any thing wrong. A fleet mechanic where I worked suggested that I check the bulb in the third brake light. I thought he was kidding but checked it anyway and found that it was burned out. I replaced the bulb and the cruise worked.

bornatiger

Established Member
As silly as it sounds I am serious. Come to find there are a lot of cars that have it as such. It was explained to me that they have it that way so you can tell when the third brake light is burned out. I'm a old timer so maybe it's called something else now, but it's the single high brake light. It happened to me the cruise stopped working one day. I checked everything and couldn't find any thing wrong. A fleet mechanic where I worked suggested that I check the bulb in the third brake light. I thought he was kidding but checked it anyway and found that it was burned out. I replaced the bulb and the cruise worked.
That's crazy! Thanks for sharing.

Cobra52898

Established Member
So now I need to figure out a solution. I remember thinking it was going to be a real PITA or I would have fixed it then. But if I want my CC back...

CzchMex

Established Member
If you can start your car in neutral with no clutch. It's your clutch switch. If it doesn't start its something else

hotcobra03

Established Member
how are you making out?

the first link i posted,,deactivator switch...it is resettable..it got me..i had brake booster off more than once and never an issue,,however the last time cc didnt work..thats how i found out about the switch needs to be reset.

however the manual i have covers 99-04.. so 98?
here is a chiltons library link..it has all the steps on testing cc

Gale Cengage Product Failure

Cobra52898

Established Member
how are you making out?

the first link i posted,,deactivator switch...it is resettable..it got me..i had brake booster off more than once and never an issue,,however the last time cc didnt work..thats how i found out about the switch needs to be reset.

however the manual i have covers 99-04.. so 98?
here is a chiltons library link..it has all the steps on testing cc

Gale Cengage Product Failure

Thanks for the info. I haven't done anything with it yet. 1st thing I need to do is get the peddle switch reinstalled but with the peddle adjuster it is going to be difficult. I have to figure out a solution for attaching the switch linkage.

Users who are viewing this thread