cruise control after Tremec magnum XL swap

benzopyrene

Established Member
Alright Ive seen this brought up in a few different threads but no one has really found an answer that I could find that is very clear, so I thought I would start a dedicated thread. I just did a T56 magnum xl swap in my 2011 GT

Heres what I know:

per JPC "The cruise control is a common problem. It has to do with whatever computer strategy code is. Each car is different and some have cruise work in odd gears. "

- Most guys on here seem to have it working in 4th or 6th, with the strategy on their car
- within the tune you should change the gearing to the new tremec you have purchased

What I would like to know....
1. If my tuner applies another cars strategy to my car that has the cruise control working shoould that theoretically fix the problem? (basically I assume this means get someones tune that it works on and go from there)
2. Are there any other variables that anyone is aware of that can affect the cruise control? (ie: improperly wired speedo box, reverse lockout solenoid, a fuse somewhere?)

Anyway, the purpose of this is trying to solve my problem, but also to make it easier to find this information for other guys as this seems to be a very common problem with the T56 magnum XL swap. Im going to be working with my tuner to try and answer some of these questions, but if you have these answers and would be willing to share. Please do! Cheers!

DrTriton

Established Member
Yes, the Dakota Digital SGI-5 solved all my CC and speedo issues as per the linked posts.

If you search my username you will find all the dip switch settings as well :)

As for the reason some people have CC issues and others not, I don't believe it's PCM strategy related at all - it is Abbott box related. The output signal from the Abbott simply isn't 'clean' enough for the Ford PCM/cruise control to function effectively. I cut my Abbott out of the car and hooked the SGI-5 up to the exact same wires and all my problems were resolved.

Last edited:

benzopyrene

Established Member
Okay. Just ordered one. Ill install it as soon as it gets here and see if this is the reason for my cc problems. Will also to try and post my photos of my wiring scheme form my trem for reference for others and for review by those familiar with it. Cheers!

benzopyrene

Established Member
Well, installed the dakota digital SGI 5 and still no dice. Cruise control still does not work in any gear. So, gonna recheck all my wiring in the next couple weeks, and get my tune looked at, but if I cant get it to work....either gonna sell the car or put the old tranny back in it, because this is just ridiculous. cant have a daily driver with no CC. So my CC signal doesnt even show up on my dash, its like there is no sigal at all. Weird thing happened when I was out fine tuning the speedo. was driving just fine and then the car went into limp mode. rpm gauge lit up speedo shut down completely, and when i stopped the car and put it in neutral the engine started to rev and it was going up and up at about 3k rpms and rising I cut the engine. I started it up again and all was good. Anyone got any ideas on that?

DrTriton

Established Member
Check your wiring. Do you have the dip switches set per my post?

Has your tuner changed anything in the cal related to the speedo?

benzopyrene

Established Member
I sent you a PM. Everything else worked except for the CC, My DIP switches are set per the post. Ill have my tuner look at it after I check all the wiring again, but I dont think thats the problem.

hand-filer

Established Member
I installed a tune from one of the preeminent TVS tuners and my cruise no longer worked so I wouldn't rule out the tune.

benzopyrene

Established Member
thats interesting as I haven't heard of anyones not working after the tune. Im going to try all the tunes I have 1 by 1 I think and see if I can get any of them to work.... and then go from there. Oh and as an update. I got under my car. Checked all the wiring. Cut out the quick connects I had on wires and just soldered everything together. Not having my weird starter issue anymore, but CC still doesn't work. :-( Trying to get my most recent dyne tune file from my tuner to send to a member here to compare with his, and also gonna get my tuner to work on it a little. Anyway, Ill keep you all updated. I am determined to get this thing working. Now I do have 1 question. If somebody had a tune that works....could I take that tune and put it on my car? Or is each tune vehicle specific? Also, what about replacing the dcm, and starting over? Is there any aftermarket ECM...just curious. Cheers!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
FWIW, here is my experience with the T56 and cruise control debacle.

I had both boss 302 strategies (DZW3) and my original strategy (BLV3) and flashing in the boss strategy caused my cruise control to work in only 4th gear. Flashing in my original strategy allowed the cruise control to work in both 4th and 6th gear. No other changes to the car.

The cruise control issue is a very weird one.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Yes if your tuner apply different strategies to the car he should be able to make it work in 5/6th gear.

It's not the abbot box that causes the issue.

benzopyrene

Established Member
Did anyother test just to make sure..... unplugged my reverse lockout solenoid I installed as well to see if thatmight be affecting the cc, but it was not. However the car is almost imposible to get into reverse without having the solenoid installed, so Im glad I went with it. I sat there for like 5 mins trying to get the damn car in reverse ended up having to use both hands....yikes! Thanks for the info aaron. Ill see if I can get some different strategies. I assume that means you need to have the base tunes from different vehicles...please correct me if I am wrong. Cheers!

DrTriton

Established Member
Yes if your tuner apply different strategies to the car he should be able to make it work in 5/6th gear.

It's not the abbot box that causes the issue.

It was the Abbott box in my case. I literally cut it out of the car and installed the Dakota box in its place with no other wiring changes and it solved both my problems (jumpy speedo and cruise inop). Maybe my Abbott box was defective from the start..

Cyclerick

Established Member
Try reinstalling the speed sensor plug. I had issues with erratic speedo, all dash warning lights on, dash changing colours. I ended up replacing the speed sensor plug and resolved the issue.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
It's very possible you may have had a defective box. You should have called me we could have replaced it for you.

If the speedo signal is jumpy them it was more then likely the box.

mhyjek

Established Member
It's very possible you may have had a defective box. You should have called me we could have replaced it for you.

If the speedo signal is jumpy them it was more then likely the box.

My abbott box works only in third my tuner(Lund) tried 3 times couldn't get it to work. My speedo is fine, bought the box from you guys and was programmed by you and verified with your setting sheet you emailed me any ideas on what it can be?
Thanks Mike

benzopyrene

Established Member
Alright, sorry havent worked on this much in the last month.. Here's my question......how would I go about getting a new strategy code for my car? Could I take it to ford and just have them reflash it? How much would that cost if anybody has any experience with that out of curiousity? Or could I take somebody elses strategy? Curious about how I can test this....

Users who are viewing this thread