Crower Stage 2 Street/Supercharger cams and exhaust setup

redrockett

Established Member
Good evening! I just recently had Crower stage 2 cams installed in my 08 Shelby. I know, in the 4V motors, the stage 2 cams aren't going to hit like a B or E cam in an old push rod fox body engine. I didn't want to go any larger because I felt like the stage 2 fit my setup and wants. My concern is you can't even tell the cams are in the car unless you hold your head right down at the muffler. I have heard 2 other Shelby's with the exact same cams in them and they sounded great. My idle is set the same as one of them I know. The difference is they had full 3" exhaust and I ended up going with 2.5" to try to keep it from dragging as much as possible. One of the other cars has the Corsa Ultimate Touring and one Borla Atak. I am running the Ford Racing SVT-1 mufflers. I do have 1 7/8 long tubes which is what they both have as well. All cars have off road x pipes. Do you guys think my exhaust is keeping the cams from being heard? Is it possible I just need to change the axle back? I have a mail order temp tune from VMP until I can get to the dyno, could that be part of it? I know the SVT-1 is not a loud muffler but I would kind of like to stay with the Ford Racing and thought about going with the round Ford Racing mufflers which I think are Borla? and a little louder than the svt-1. I guess I am just looking for opinions/answers as to why I am unable to hear the cams. Thanks for any input here.

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

I had Stage 3 Crower Cams in my 03 Cobra and it was hard to here the cam lope. A different exhaust set up may help but custom grind cams are the best way to get the nice cam lope you are looking for and make the best power.

These are JDM Engineerings proprietary super stock camshafts with 1-7/8" LT's, off-road x-pipe and stock mufflers.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...d-2013-shelby-gt500-jdm-super-stock-cams.html

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
Are you referring to a lumpy idle or just a louder exhaust note? The mufflers and tubing size would change the note/sound level more than just cams would. If you want the lumpy idle characteristics, overlap causes this from the duration of the cams. What were your cams installed at? Meaning what is the lobe separation and lobe centers? Having them installed at a closer lobe separation will alter the power band some and increase the lumpiness at idle. Lowering the idle speed some can bring a little to it also. Changing your cam settings could require the need of a change in your tune also... I believe that most of the Crower stuff is ground on 114' lob/sep. I would probably close them up a bit to say 112' l/sep +2'. That should really help wake up the mid range and add a little bit of sound too. Air temps should still be ok too...

redrockett

Established Member
I am just referring to the rough/lumpy idle. The other 2 cars with the exact cams sounded great. Thanks so much for the reply! I will have to find out where the cams are installed at.

Are you referring to a lumpy idle or just a louder exhaust note? The mufflers and tubing size would change the note/sound level more than just cams would. If you want the lumpy idle characteristics, overlap causes this from the duration of the cams. What were your cams installed at? Meaning what is the lobe separation and lobe centers? Having them installed at a closer lobe separation will alter the power band some and increase the lumpiness at idle. Lowering the idle speed some can bring a little to it also. Changing your cam settings could require the need of a change in your tune also... I believe that most of the Crower stuff is ground on 114' lob/sep. I would probably close them up a bit to say 112' l/sep +2'. That should really help wake up the mid range and add a little bit of sound too. Air temps should still be ok too...

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Crower makes two stage 2 cams for 4v engines. One is for blower applications. The other is a bit milder. The part number for the Stage 2 blower cams is 62822-4.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Tuning can change the idle tone also, not like the 'ghost cam' like the coyote guys but timing, idle speed and a/f could bring out the cams a bit.
I'm really digging the JDM cam idea for my '14!
-J

redrockett

Established Member
Last edited:

redrockett

Established Member
Does anyone have any audio/videos of GT500s with stage 2 cams and 2.5" exhaust? I really think the svt-1 mufflers are toning it way down. I may try the Ford Racing round axle back. I have run 3" before but just wanted to try to keep as much clearance as possible and also was concerned about the torque down low so I plan to stick with the new 2.5" setup just want to hear some different mufflers with cams. I would possibly consider leaving the long tubes into the 2.5 x pipe and add a 3" cat back. Thanks for any help!!

Here is what I am running now

Ford Racing 07-09 Shelby GT500 50 State Touring Muffler Kit - Ford Racing - Axle-Back Systems - Exhaust - 2007-2009 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Here is what I am thinking about going to if they sound good.

Ford Racing 07-09 Shelby GT500 49 State Sport Muffler Set - Ford Racing - Axle-Back Systems - Exhaust - 2007-2009 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Last edited:

kleen93gt

Established Member
If you want LOUD "allkheinz" has it nailed! Crower stage 2, kooks long tubes, o/r x, corsa extremes...

[youtube_browser]V2fLiP_jcQ4[/youtube_browser]

redrockett

Established Member
If you want LOUD "allkheinz" has it nailed! Crower stage 2, kooks long tubes, o/r x, corsa extremes...

[youtube_browser]V2fLiP_jcQ4[/youtube_browser]

Thanks, Heinz is the one that helped me purchase the correct valve springs for my car. Do u know if his exhaust is a 3" or 2.5" setup. Thanks again

BilletProShop

Established Member
Thanks, Heinz is the one that helped me purchase the correct valve springs for my car. Do u know if his exhaust is a 3" or 2.5" setup. Thanks again

he still has the 2.5'' setup, loud as hell is all i can say!!!!
probably louder than my car at anything over 3000rpm and all i have is dumps

Users who are viewing this thread