Crosswalks

FranticFocus05

Established Member
Just got back from lunch and this is bugging me.. I work in the court house building and there is a ton of foot traffic and motor traffic on the streets right out side of the building. I was coming back after lunch and was crossing the street (with the white walk figure lit up) I was just about halfway across when I saw out of the corner of my eye a toyota pickup make a wide left to go infront of me. The next step I took was very large and put me in his path thankfully he stopped bitched at me for walkin in his way :dw: I just told him if he had a problem and wanted to talk to me I was on the 9th floor in the Sheriffs office and to come find me.
Fact of the matter was there was a mother with three kids crossing right behind me (literly on me heels) had this guy cut a wide turn infront of me and one of the kids gotten ahead of mom and me *bam* I am watching a kid get hit. Maybe I am just not used to being in the city that much and you all will say "get over it" but it just makes me mad. Honestly I was probably in the wrong for stepping out infront of him but what I was always taught is that pedestrians have the right of way when the walk figure is lit up and turning traffic is to yield right of way.

I am the guy that sits waiting to make a left turn and get honked at cause I dont try to dart between people crossing. Sorry for the long rant but LEOs what is the deal cause at least once a week I have someone cut infront of me to make a left (at a high speed just to turn before I get in there path) or they will not be paying attention and come to a screaching stop 3 feet from me and if you just sit outside and watch you see it all the time. What is the right thing to do, what would the charge even be, do you guys even pay attention to this kind of stuff or is it such a small thing you dont worry that much. I know if you ticketed everyone it would be like never ending paperwork but still.

Just a side note... unless the light is lit for you to cross I dont see a problem with someone not slowing down. And I wouldnt feel bad at all if the person got hit, its just when idiot drivers do stupid stuff when they are to yield.

Edit: So I had this typed and walked away and calmed down some and finally posted it but wanted to add this. Mods if this doesnt really belong here (although I am askin LEO opinions) feel free to move it to Smack Down or General.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I'd like to hear a LEO's opinion as well on this topic.

I work in the city and have to cross many busy streets every day. I usually don't have much trouble since it seems city drivers are more aware of the "Peds have the right-of-way" rule.

However, in the suburbs, drivers seem to have absolutely no regard for pedestrians. In the past four or so months, I've literally almost been killed six times by a-hole drivers who don't seem to know what a "Pedestrian" is. Each time I've reacted quickly enough to get the hell out of the way.

75% of the time, it's some idiot in a left-had turn lane trying "beat" oncoming traffic. The nasty thing is, these people don't even make an attempt to slow down, even though they see me in the crosswalk. They shoot across the intersection, and make their turn right into me.

The rest of the time, it's someone making a right-hand turn who just disregards you as a pedestrian. This is usually less dangerous since those drivers are going slower and you're more visible to them.

I always wait for the traffic light to give me the "walk" signal before I ever set foot in the street. I also make sure to stay inside the crosswalk.

So, I guess a question would be: When I eventually get hit by one of these road-retards, what are my legal options for nailing the offending driver (assuming I'm still alive)?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
A pedestrian in a crosswalk with the signal has the right of way!! Simple as that. The motor vehicle has to yield to the pedestrian crossing with the light at the designated spot. You are correct. But the gross tonage rule still applies!

FranticFocus05

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
A pedestrian in a crosswalk with the signal has the right of way!! Simple as that. The motor vehicle has to yield to the pedestrian crossing with the light at the designated spot. You are correct. But the gross tonage rule still applies!

Thanks I think that is by far the best answer and the one I was looking for.

:thumbsup: "But the gross tonage rule still applies!" Very true!

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
In my local city there are quite a few of cross walks that do not have a signal, but the rule still applies. The vehicle must yield to the pedestrian. When I see a violation, I write it. There are no, (ifs, ands or buts about it).

Users who are viewing this thread