Crossover Tube O-Ring Size??? 96-98

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
Did the top of my motor a few weeks ago and pulled the coolant crossover tube out and wanted to replace the O-rings. Standard size O-Rings dont seem to fit So I had to reuse the old ones. Didnt have any problems until last weekend I noticed a little coolant weeping above one O-Ring. I went to Ford and they dont seem to have them(couldnt identify them), I went to Lincoln didnt seem to have them either. I searched all Ford forums including this one for the size and found nothing. I went to the Junkyard this morning and pulled a whole crossover tube assembly off a Mark 8. Im pretty sure its a metric O-Ring I just need to know the size and/or Ford part # if one exists. The closest thing they have was a whole new crossover tube for $180 which they said was unavailable at this time. Theirs 4 O-Rings altogether and three of them are the same size and the fourth is for the fill plug. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
No idea here, but good luck finding it.

Ford dealership couldn't tell me, and I had an entire manufacturing facility at my hands with literally every size you could imagine and I never found it.

I just wrapped the sucker in a LOT of plumbers tape and it worked.

fullofvenom

Established Member
i have an o ring kit that has around 2 million o rings in it and not ONE of them fits perfectly. there is a "kit" from ford that has the 3 in it (one for each end at the head and one for the connection in the middle), but I don't know the part number.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Think one of these might work?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5288

M6026R451.jpg

Otherwise, get this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2901

02901.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
I found an O-Ring calculator and measured the tube relief and the head bore and depending on the amount of O-Ring compression either a 2.5mm X 27mm or a 3mm X 27mm should fit. I found these in a McMaster-Carr catalog so I guess I'll order both on Monday and should get them by Tuesday. This sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread