Crooked steering wheel/Clunk

phayze

Established Member
Within the past few months I've just been replacing the stock (140k) front suspension components. I have done aluminum rack bushings, bumpsteer kit, inner tie rods, sway bar bushings, end links/bushings, ball joints. Yet I still have this clunk in the front end while turning.

While the car is on and not moving, if I turn the wheel, sounds like it loads up and the pop/clunk is louder. But at slow speeds it's just noticeable. Higher speeds it's not noticeable.

Steering wheel has always been slightly off, not bad. After I installed all those parts I immediately got an alignment and the wheel is still off. Anyway on how to fix that?

Last edited:

rymax101

Established Member
My wheels was slightly off after an alignment too. I just jacked it up. (my wheel slightly leaned left) so you just brake the jam nut on the tie rod and turn the tie rod bar so that the wheels push/pull in that direction (left for me).
A little goes a long way. Make sure you mark the bar, and only turn them 1/4 turn at a time.
One side is will be left handed threads so make sure you think about which way the wheel will go when you turn the bar.
If you mess up you can mess up your alignment and cause some pretty bad tire wear. (so make sure you mark where you started)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread