Critique my Brakes.....what's needed?

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
people don't realize its all just a matchmaking with your driving and the temp range of pads. I use Hawk, but really if you dig you should be able to find this info on any popular brake pad manufacturer. check out this link.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/compound-graph

If you are not braking in the pads best temp range, they are not going to work for what you are doing (cold or hot... you want to match it with where you are at). Also, not sure about all brands but hawk says that their street pads (hps/hps 5.0) and their race pads have a similar enough base compound that you don't have to turn or sand rotors when switching out. Huge for the guys like me that will change out the pads for the weekend at the track (only a few times a year) and go back to a streetable pad for normal driving.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Autozone Duralast Gold Ceramic pads. The rear brakes are stock. The fluid is stock.

There is your problem. Autozone pads aren't going to perform as well as lets say Hawk pads which is what I use for example. I'd upgrade that for sure, upgrade the lines as well and upgrade the FLUID. The reason you're getting fade is primarily from the fluid becoming too hot and boiling, which causes the fade, but the performance of the pad is likely crap. No need to spend the money for a big brake kit if you're just doing 1/2 mile or 1/4 mile pulls followed then by a cooling off period before you go again. I'd say if you road race, then there's a benefit in performance by going with a big brake kit.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Has anybody used the new 5.0 pads from Hawk? Looking at these for my track pack 5.0 along with SS lines, 600hp DD, occasionally race it.

Already have AMSOIL DOT4 brake fluid in her.

Which lines are recommended?

Doug1227

Established Member
Guys, please read the thread before responding. I've already got 4-piston Brembos on the car with 2-piece slotted rotors up front, stock in back. The main culprit was the pad, and maybe the fluid.

UPFRIGGINDATE!!!! The front pads have been changed to Hawk HPS. I left the 4-piston Brembos, and DBA 2-piece rotors alone. Also added SS lines since i had it apart.
In back, I added 1-piece slotted DBA rotors and SS lines. Addes Motul RFB600 fluid. All is good now.

Users who are viewing this thread