Criminal, civil or ?

olefafl

Established Member
Someone I know used my name as a refrence at a buy here pay here car lot.
I didn't know this till last week & have no idea when it was done.

Someone from the car lot called me & was acting like we know each other. He said the person had removed them as lien holder on the car. He asked if I had a number for the person ( I don't have the persons address or number) so he could find out what was going on. I told him I would send an e-mail because I didn't have the info.

Left this on my VM. A different person called me from the same car lot and wanted the phone number & address of the person. The guy told me the person was not paying for the car anymore & they wanted it back.

Also left this on my VM. The second person called back and said the police are looking for him and are going to lock him up sooner or later. He said he hopes its sooner.

Will the police look for someone for not paying for the car at a buy here pay here? It the person did somehow get them removed as lien holder could that get the police looking for them? They only said something about the lien holder in the first phone call.

They are getting rude with me on my VM, so I'm not sure I want to help them.

Also, If I rember the fair debt collection act right they are not to talk to anyone but the person about this. So can they get in some trouble to telling me about whats going on?

Swaie

Established Member
If your listed as a contact I believe they can contact you. You will have to get in touch with the individual that put you on the paperwork to hash that out. But since you don't know the person that has the car, you can only contact the lot and tell them you don't know that person. If it is a rent to own lot I do belive they can use the LEO's to get their property back. If they took out a loan for the car they can only sue you for their loss.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
He used you as a reference only?Did anyone contact you prior to the deal?You have no involvement based on that.Simply tell them to stop calling you.From that point on,its considered harassing phone calls and that is a criminal matter.If they want to show their arse then show them yours and do not help them

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If your listed as a contact I believe they can contact you.
They can contact him but I believe that discussing the specifics of the case is unethical at best. I will leave the legal specific comments to someone that knows
You will have to get in touch with the individual that put you on the paperwork to hash that out.
nothing to hash out
But since you don't know the person that has the car, .
According to the op he does know the person. he just doesn't know his address or phone number. he apparently does have the person's email.
you can only contact the lot and tell them you don't know that person.
and, based on the op, that would be a lie. Frankly if it were me I would contact the lot and give them the email address of the person since that person used me as a reference without my permission.
If it is a rent to own lot I do belive they can use the LEO's to get their property back. If they took out a loan for the car they can only sue you for their loss.
Unless he went down and co-signed on the loan paperwork they cannot sue him for anything let alone their loss. Assuming the op is telling the full story and complete truth, which is questionable, he was a reference and not a co-signer.

Last edited:

olefafl

Established Member
I did not co-sign anything.
I can get the numder & address of the person easy, but with the way they being rude with me, I may not help.
They didn't call me before the deal was done.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I did not co-sign anything.
I can get the numder & address of the person easy, but with the way they being rude with me, I may not help.
They didn't call me before the deal was done.

then you are in the clear. Frankly, if I were in your shoes I would give them what you have, i.e. his email address and be done with it. You have no obligation to the car place and certainly no obligation to the clown that used you as a reference without your permission.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
then you are in the clear. Frankly, if I were in your shoes I would give them what you have, i.e. his email address and be done with it. You have no obligation to the car place and certainly no obligation to the clown that used you as a reference without your permission.

I agree, just give them the info with the caveat that they are never to call you again. But tell them you will only give the info to a manager after you receive his promise.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
No, the police will not look for the car if someone is behind on payments. Totally a civil issue. If they keep bothering you, go down to your local police station and file phone harassment on the dealer. More than likely the case will not go anywhere, however the detective assigned will make contact with the dealer and warn him to stop all contact with you. GL

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
No, the police will not look for the car if someone is behind on payments. Totally a civil issue. If they keep bothering you, go down to your local police station and file phone harassment on the dealer. More than likely the case will not go anywhere, however the detective assigned will make contact with the dealer and warn him to stop all contact with you. GL

yes you live in Texas and he lives in Indiana and of course the laws are the same.

It may not be a civil issue. For example, if the selling company filed a proper lien and buyer had them taken off the lien through fraud or some other illegal means then the police will certainly get involved. If they report the car stolen they would become involved at least initially.

There are a lot of reasons the police would get involved, even if it were in Texas which as we all know it isn't

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Yes there are a lot of factors (what if, etc) that can play in. But were not talking about fraud, were talking about some guy not making payments.

olefafl

Established Member
Yes there are a lot of factors (what if, etc) that can play in. But were not talking about fraud, were talking about some guy not making payments.

In the first phone call they said "they had been removed as lien holder", but they later said they were not getting paid. So I don't know what is true & what is not. I don't trust them.
They are in NC ( I think), not IN. Sorry, I didn't think to tell you guys sooner.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
I can speak up a little more for NC then.PM me with the company if you dont mind.Give up what you have or tell them to leave you alone.Based on all of your posts,you still have NO obligation to them

silverstang23

Established Member
In the first phone call they said "they had been removed as lien holder", but they later said they were not getting paid. So I don't know what is true & what is not. I don't trust them.
They are in NC ( I think), not IN. Sorry, I didn't think to tell you guys sooner.

If the dealership is in NC then they physically would have to go to where you/your friend is located to file anything (civil/criminal) charges. Most likely this is just a civil case. If you were to file a harassment claim you have to go to NC.

Users who are viewing this thread