Crazy Snake

svtcharged

svtcharged
Established Member
Hey i need some advice guys. I recently ported my own supercharger and drove it with pretty good results for about a 1000 miles then the bearings went out in it, so I bought another eaton local one off a guy that i know the history of. It wasnt pullied or ported. I ported it myself and it was running strong and holding boost and everything. Today I was runnin a camaro on the interstate and just made one pull from a 20 roll to about 120 then slowed down and got off on my exit. Next thing i know my car locks up and dies and starts draggin the rear tires. I push in the clutch and roll to a stop. I get my buddy to pull me out of traffic into a parking lot.I try to start it and nothing just click click like the motors locked up. The starter was engaging but would not turn the motor over. We leave and go have a few beers. Im thinking i blew the motor up then we come back to pull it home and just for shits and giggles I get in and turn it over and she fires right up no funny sounds or nothing. I baby her home and im worried something aint right please help.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
wow that sucks for sure. bet that had you pretty damn worried, and down for a minute. glad she appears to be okay. hopefully everything is fine.

have no idea why something like that would happen though.

wilderyzed

Established Member
What happened more than likely is you over expanded the pistons to a point which they contacted the block and the motor temporarily seized. I had this happen to me when my thermostat stuck closed. The gauge reads like normal temp because the sender is in air instead of water sending a false reading. This can also be caused by consecutive wot runs or wot runs for extended periods of time. Piston over expansion is common in our cars due to the cheap stock aluminum pistons which have large expansion rates and ford builds the motors tight so when they expand after hard running they seize. I have a 650 horse car it did the same and it still runs great a year later. If its not knocking I wouldn't concern myself about it too much. Theres nothing you can do at this point to help the matter really.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i think at least you should pull the plugs and inspect them, maybe change the oil in a clean drain pan to check if there is anything abnormal.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Yep, sorry it sounds like it was seized. I'd scope the cylinders and check for damage, compression test.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Also, an aftermarket gauge for temps is really needed on these cars. With a dual Aeroforce setup I keep an eye on Charge temps (a good indicator for heat soak, like to see it less than 120*, running a semi-conservative 2.90/4# setup), coolant temps (~178-185 Reiche 170* thermostat), Batt (~low 13's for the famous dead alternator), Ignition advance (to see if the engine is pulling timing, closed loop ~low 20's).

Running 110+ today for long periods (yes 6th) and beating the hell out of it - no issues. Didn't floor it totally since my clutch is on the way out and we all know about the 5th - 6th gear wot pulls (~10-12ibs boost max for SHORT periods, can get past 16 lbs). Also stayed on the highway to let the charge temps come down.

You need cooling mods I assume and monitoring for sure.

What is your pulley setup? Mods? We have like nothing to go on here except ported eaton. Did you pull in 5th or 6th? Sounds like you should have stayed on the thruway and let the engine cool off.

Be smart about running your Cobra and it can last a long time. Having said that, you need to investigate the damage that might have occurred.

Last edited:
What happened more than likely is you over expanded the pistons to a point which they contacted the block and the motor temporarily seized. I had this happen to me when my thermostat stuck closed. The gauge reads like normal temp because the sender is in air instead of water sending a false reading. This can also be caused by consecutive wot runs or wot runs for extended periods of time. Piston over expansion is common in our cars due to the cheap stock aluminum pistons which have large expansion rates and ford builds the motors tight so when they expand after hard running they seize. I have a 650 horse car it did the same and it still runs great a year later. If its not knocking I wouldn't concern myself about it too much. Theres nothing you can do at this point to help the matter really.

What are you talking about? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread