Craziest Drive Home From Work I've Ever Had...

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
us_ord_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

Pic only there for reference, I don't think this needs to get moved.

If you don't like the title why did you click it?

Anyway, so I left this morning in the Jeep and it's nice out, sunny and hot as hell. Kissing 100 and heat index over a 110. Well I love the heat so I went in the jeep and left the top and doors at home. I was getting ready to replace my windshield frame and glass so it was all completely off already. At one point tonight that front comes in... I have no top, no doors, nothing on my Jeep. I have to drive 40miles thew it home in my suit... It was freaking hilarious! I've been in a tropical storm before... this was WORSE. Now mind you I already have a partialy spiderwebbed windshield, and the rain is falling so hard I can't see more than 10feet infront of my Jeep at times, the smart man would stop and wait for it right? Nope, I want to get home so I creap along at 30mph or so. Lighting is lighting up the sky all over, the wind is so strong the cornstalks all but laying down in the fields. Evil cornfields! Well at about the half point home in the middle of this crazy intense storm the wind pick ups worse and the rain gets blinding. I slow to about 20 and then it feels like I got slugged in the chest and went blind while a freight train thunders thew my head. Lighting struke a tree about 30 yards ahead and splintered the tree all over. The largest limb of coarse falls across the road. I stop. I sit there in the rain in my topless Jeep for a moment. I get out (yes I know not what you should do) and clear some of it, then I grab a chain in the back of the Jeep, strap it to the tree kick on 4wd and drag it out of the road. Remember this is the only truely direct road to my town and there is no cover around other than the stand of trees. It was a pretty big limb and I was surprised my little Jeep could move it. At this point I had tossed my suitcoat on the passanger seat and put my tie in the glovebox, which btw didn't help the water leaked down the back of the dashboard, and since my jeep dosen't have drain plugs I have 2-3 inches of water in the tub (floorboards). Well I contiue my drive home in the Illinois hurricane rocking out to Led Zepplin in my still functioning yet water logged radio with sideways rain stinging so hard it feels like a million needles hitting the side of my face. Now in the drive I'm actually getting a kick out of it, I'm laughing my ass off. The radio still working, the floor a few inches deep with water, the windshield partially shattered, the rain and wind coming in at gail force and lightning striking everywhere and thunder crashing over it all I hit a huge bank of standing water. So hard the front of the Jeep bounces a few times when I hit and regain traction, mind you I am going about 30 or so. But with all the water flushing threw everywhere it rips the wires for my extra lights out, so now I'm down to the two small and weak stock headlights. I about bust a gut laughing. It's just too funny. By the time I get within 4 miles of my home it all just stops. The rain and wind atleast. There is still lighting and thunder all over the skies but the rain and wind is still falling behind me. I get home and grab my top and doors, completely pointless at this point, and toss it on there as quick as I can and go inside. I am literally dripping wet. Time for a nice hot shower. I had fun and I don't care what y'all say, it was stupid and all it is going to cost me is a dry cleaning.

John

And since I know someone will say it, no there weren't many other cars out and if they were they were taking a chance too.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Sounds like a time to remember the rest of your life. Little things like this will stick with you. Glad you got home safe and sound even though a little wet behind the ears. HA HA

Jefe

Established Member
Great read haha! Happened here too but I had windows but couldnt see far in front of me and rain had flooded in the streets and im rolling through in my low side exhuast Roush...not fun! Good thing I got new tires. I spun the wheels a couple times on accident.

Users who are viewing this thread