Crate 03 motor or built from scratch?

NastyRed99

True Customs
ok guys, ive been wanting a cobra motor for a while and its finally time to go ahead and get one. My question would be is it more cost effective to get a crate 03 engine (either used complete which i have found is difficult to find -or- A new engine from Carkraft minus a supercharger for 5000) or just buy a block, install all forged internals, new 03 heads, new cams and a kenne belle? If the latter, which block do you recommend?

Thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'd be somewhat leary of a stroker 4.6 motor. Getting a 4V motor won't be cheap whatever you do. You might want top take some time and look for a used engine. Good luck.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Stroking a 4.6 motor leaves very little piston in the bore at BDC. The skirts are almost completely out of the cylinder. Not good for piston stability. People do it and the motor arn't blowing up on the launch pad but it is very bad practice setting up a motor this way. What is the maximum safe RPM you can run a sroker 4.6?

I say if you want more power, add boost. If you want more displacement go for the taller 5.4 block.

Users who are viewing this thread