Crappy day at the office (LEO's Only Please)

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Well, I've been on the job for 10 years. Never had a suicidal person actually go through with it in front of me, so I can't say that I can relate to your particular experience today. But I can say from experience that you can't win em all. You definitely earned your money today. Keep your chin up man... the bad scene in your head will fade with time.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Thanks, brother.

I tried to keep a thick skin in front of the troops, but to be honest, after he jumped, I moved out of sight and broke down for a few minutes.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
You can't save them all. Hopefully you will be able to learn from the experience and move forward in a way that increases your chances of success in the future. I know it can be a mixed bag of emotions with guilt, anger, fustration, and others lurking in the shadows... but don't let it become personal. Know that you didn't contribute to the circumstances which put the person out there, only tried to remove them. When your head hits the pillow, put the last 10 seconds of the call out of your mind and think about all the effort and the things you did right.... right up to that point.

Again, you can't save them all and no matter what.... The outcome would have been the same.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
On Christmas Eve 2011 my partner and I responded as back-up to a 911 hang-up in another car sector. We were the first to arrive to a family that had gone out to a party or get together and had come home to find the 17 year old middle son hanging in the kitchen. We immediately cut him down and started CPR in front of the father, mother, older brother, and 7 year old younger brother. Somewhere in there the primary sector car (a 1 man-sam unit) arrived on scene and the three of us rotated CPR until the medics arrived; seemed like forever and based on CAD was nearly 10 mins. Medics immediately took over CPR and scooped him and ran.

They pronounced him 32 mins into Christmas day, as we were walking in the ambulance entrance at UCSF. I remember feeling empty, literally hollow, wooden...

We just can't save them all, no matter how hard we fight for it. In 11 years in the City I have actually been on-scene for a couple of other active suicides; but this one has bothered me the most. I can understand where you are sir; if not exactly what you are feeling.

Last edited:

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
We are human guys and things of this nature have a profound affect on us. No matter how hard we try, certain things are not possible.
Good job Lt

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
No matter what you would have done, the end result would have been the same. We can't win them all, or change what years have done to affect someone so much where they put themselves in that position. It's like I tell parents all the time who call us to discipline their kids. Your kids have been 15 years in the making to this point, and you expect me to change them in 10 minutes. Keep your head up brother.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Just learned today the Coroner's Office couldn't get hold of the wife to inform her of the death. They requested the North Las Vegas PD to do a welfare check. when they entered the residence, they found her dead. No initial signs of a homicide, however.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I was not successful...

This part of your story is slightly inaccurate. You were successful in the aspect that you came home to your family. The people on that bridge that wanted to leave there alive did. You did your job to the best of your abilities, but you already know that.

The man who decided to end his life had no concern for how you felt or how you are going to feel.

I once saved a girl who was in the process on hanging herself in the closet with a belt. She texted her friends to say goodbye, they called us.

When I arrived at her apartment, a roommate, who wasn't even aware of what was going on, let us in. Her bedroom was locked. I forced entry to her bedroom and found her blue faced hanging from her closet by a belt. It wouldn't have taken much longer.

I was able to revive her and she actually walked to the medic to be transported to hospital.

To this day I never received a single thank you from her or her family. But then again, I have had people kill themselves and their families try to sue us. So go figure.

Outstanding work sir, your sacrifices and dedication are appreciated by those that matter. :beer:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member

This has been said numerous times already but I feel that it can't be said enough. You were a great success that day. You gave 2 hours of life to this man when most people wouldn't give 2 mins. The fact that you feel the way you do, shows us that you are human and a good man. You cared when you didnt have to, directly contradicting the image that the media and other people would like to place upon us. Your great deeds don't go unrecognized. We each see it every day in our fellow officers. While, you may not have kept this man from following through with his plan or changed his mind, you were not unsuccessful. Make no mistake, he had no intention to go home that day. Don't you place that burden on yourself.

Years ago, when I was a rookie and had just been transferred to our downtown substation. Early one morning, around 2am or so we receive a call of a person attempting suicide. When we arrive on the scene we found a very intoxicated man with a pistol nearby. Once we secured the weapon we asked the man what was happening. He said if he had been just a little less drunk he would have been able to follow through with his suicide attempt and that he bought the pistol for this very reason. We arrested the man and put his weapon into protective custody. About a week later we get a call to the same downtown apartment building but this time up to the roof where there was a pool. We found the same man but this time he was lying on a reclining chair by the pool. The man had accomplished his task ans put a round through his head. I felt terrible for a while after that. In talking with peers I came to the conclusion that when a person is Determined to do it, there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

I know how you feel LT. You are not alone brother. Keep in good spirits. Spend time with your family. Good luck. Feel free to send me a PM if you need anything else.

To all our Law Enforcement family out there in harm's way, stay safe and don't let these bastards get the drop on you.

Richie

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Its tough for sure, and no need to rehash what has been said...we do the best we can. Some folks are beyond help, and im sure it was not easy to deal with. I myself one time had to perform on a 8 yr old boy who had drowned in the family pool during a party. There were at least 20 adults and not a single person knew CPR or even attempted it before I arrived, all eyes on me trying to save this kid. It was one of the hardest experiences Ive ever had, I literally called in sick the next day. Needless to say he did not make it and it made me feel so empty inside....but we move on and try to save the next one.

Im sure this wont get any easier knowing that the wife was also found deceased and the two are more than likely related, but hang tough man! your brothers are here for you!

rubber duck

Established Member
I feel for ya brother, there are some tough days. I had a tough one a couple weeks ago trying to bring back a young kid who drowned. The family screaming and praying for you to be able to save their child. Well he didn't make it, I just drove behind an abandoned building and stared off in space for a good half hour before punching back in. Nothing wrong with stuff like that getting to you, we're only human. Stay safe.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Stay strong, you can't live in the "what if."

I once responded to a call of a guy trying to hang himself from a tree. When I got there, sure enough, he had hung himself from a tree and was kicking around. I placed my car under him, but his feet still didn't reach so I climbed into the tree and cut him down. Fire/paramedics arrived and attended to him. No thank you or anything from him. He was a transient and wasn't too happy at the time. Some people say "you saved a life" but in reality, nobody knows what the outcome of this really brings. Maybe I just delayed the inevitable, buying the guy an extra day or two. Who knows?

Don't beat yourself up too much. God knows you tried, some people don't want to be helped.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I can't go into details, but there is more to the story (will fill in later after public release). But I will say I have little sympathy for the man who jumped. Btw, apparently some tourist did snap a shot and gave it to the local newspaper...

7342759-1-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread