Crap! Blew the motor!

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Well, took off down the street yesterday, not really getting on it hard or anything, and at about 3000 RPM in 2nd gear Wham! Bang! clackclackclcank....

Pulled the motor and tore it down, #8 rod disintegrated, taking the bottom of the cylinder bores on 4 and 8 with into pieces, and the piston slid to TDC where it got whacked by the valves as they opened. 2 bent valves, the cam got nicked real bad by the debris, and the oil pan is screwed (hole in it). Other than that everything is ok, including the heads, crank and pistons and the rest of the valvetrain... I even drove the car the whole 2 blocks home. I think it's the mildest blown motor I've ever seen. Weird.

Anyway, guess I'm on the hunt for a sportsman block and a 347. This time I'm gonna go all the way! Guess I should apply for a screen name change...

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Shitty man. Well, just make sure you start with an A4 or better block to start this new motor. Good luck.

turbonotch

It's quiet ;)
Established Member
sportsman block is really nothing more than a glorified stock block. a4 is the way to go.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
On further teardown looks like the crank end of the rod siezed on me, that's what broke it.

I'm pretty well set on the sportsman idea here, not to mention I can't afford anything else at the moment. Didn't exactly plan on grenading my motor driving down the street....

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear that man.
Let me check on something tomorrow.
Fresh built 347 and I know the builder. I think he's going another route.
It hasn't even been cranked yet.

turbonotch

It's quiet ;)
Established Member
what I am saying is dont waste your money. If you are going to do it do it right. If not, be happy with what you have.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
Sorry to hear that man.
Let me check on something tomorrow.
Fresh built 347 and I know the builder. I think he's going another route.
It hasn't even been cranked yet.

Just curious, but what would something like that run in the $$$ dept?

SVTCobra306

Established Member
dscf0054ik0.jpg

Here's my carnage.. look at the bottoms of the cylinders. Screwed my block up real good. Good news for Ford is, the thing still ran and drove itself into the garage before I pulled the motor! lol

Albino Snake

Established Member
SVTCobra306 said:
dscf0054ik0.jpg

Here's my carnage.. look at the bottoms of the cylinders. Screwed my block up real good. Good news for Ford is, the thing still ran and drove itself into the garage before I pulled the motor! lol
Oh my GOD!!!:eek: You haven't embedded razors in your wrists yet, or taken that hold bottle of prescription pain pills!!! Nah just kidding:D but damn man how do you cope. I remember before I got my forged internals I damaged a rod bearing, I was F-ing sick!:xpl:

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Just wondering what's next now...

Last year I broke pretty much nothing.

This year I broke an axle, a driveshaft, and now blew the motor.

BTW those WERE forged internals...

Users who are viewing this thread