crankshaft bolt help!!!

SnotRod

Established Member
i am trying to take off the front timing cover my 03 cobra motor, the motor is out of the car and the heads are off, i took off the lower pulley, and now i need to pull off the balancer, but i cant get the 14mm hex bolt off?? i tried everything impact, breaker bar,ect. This darn bolt doesn't want to budge!!:shrug: any suggestions??? thanks in advance

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Apply a little heat to the pulley right around the female part of the threads and hit it again with an impact. Should come right off. You will need a good impact though. Try an Ingersol Rand or Mac, Snap On unit.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Apply a little heat to the pulley right around the female part of the threads and hit it again with an impact. Should come right off. You will need a good impact though. Try an Ingersol Rand or Mac, Snap On unit.

IR is the only brand I buy when it comes to pneumatic tools. Great stuff! Haven't had one fail me yet.

Fat-cat

Established Member
i think he has the cage off an is looking to get the bolt holding the balancer on ,off now .... like other mentioned a little heat will help the situation.. not to much dont want to cook the front seal.. unless you are planning on replacing it anyway.

RussZTT

Established Member
If the engine is on a stand, you can put a flywheel bolt in the crank then put a crow bar of some sort to wedge the bolt so the internals wont move. If the impact can't get it off, use a long pry bar.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Smack the END of the bolt with a metal hammer thats got some weight to it. then try the impact. Sometimes this works....

Users who are viewing this thread