Crank relearn

a7777md

Established Member
hi

i just changed my clutch and i got the code crank need to relearn we tried everything using the hhp tuners but the relearn process is failed or unable to complete .

the me hanik said your problem is with ecu and you need to change it

anyone has or had the same issue before please help me

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I've never been hands on like you but in 2015 I upgraded to a SpecII in my '13. Within 2,500 miles the Spec II began to slip. Long story short is the outer clutch plate was worn to the steel from 12Oclock to 3 O'clock with plenty of new clutch on the rest of the outer plate with the inner not effected. The matter of relearning never came up during that install or after. I had options for Spec to rebuild but another shop had a McCleod RXT in stock which has been most awesome ever since. When the clutch was out the 2nd shop quicky assumed the Spec II failure was caused by NOT relearning the clutch in the ECU. Not sure what they did but they told me it was routine for those models . I'd bet one of the guys here can give you direction. Otherwise, perhaps Ford Tech line could provide some insight on how to do that? But based on my limited experience I'd air on side of caution until then.
Good Luck Bud........

Last edited:

SteveWK

Established Member
I highly doubt the problem is with the ECU. Please list your mods since you may need to reload the stock tune to perform the crank relearn and then reload your performance tune. Listed below are two methods for performing a crank relearn. The first is lifting the throttle at 60 mph and letting the car decelerate on its own without braking or putting it into neutral to 40 mph. Since you are in Jordon this is approximately 100 kph to 60 kph. It may take several decelerations to relearn. The details of the procedure are listed under "Profile Correction" below. The second method is probably what you tried and the details of that procedure are listed under "Neutral Profile Correction" below.

I'd go drive the car and see if it will relearn on its own using the 60-40 mph decel method.

You can download the very in-depth pdf here: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1300.pdf . What I quoted below starts on page 19.

Profile Correction

"Profile correction" software is used to "learn" and correct for mechanical inaccuracies in the crankshaft position wheel tooth spacing. Since the sum of all the angles between crankshaft teeth must equal 360 , a correction factor can be calculated for each misfire sample interval that makes all the angles between individual teeth equal. . The LDR misfire system will learn one profile correction factor per cylinder (ex. 4 correction factors for a 4 cylinder engine), while the HDR system will learn 36 or 40 correction factors depending on the number of crankshaft wheel teeth (ex. 36 for V6/V8 engines, 40 for V10 engines).

The corrections are calculated from several engine cycles of misfire sample interval data. The "mature" correction factors are the average of a selected number of samples. In order to assure the accuracy of these corrections, a tolerance is placed on the incoming values such that an individual correction factor must be repeatable within the tolerance during learning. This is to reduce the possibility of learning corrections on rough road conditions which could limit misfire detection capability and to help isolate misfire diagnoses from other crankshaft velocity disturbances.

To prevent any fueling or combustion differences from affecting the correction factors, learning is done during decel-fuel cutout. This can be done during closed-throttle, non-braking, de-fueled decelerations in the 60 to 40 mph range after exceeding 60 mph (likely to correspond to a freeway exit condition). In order to minimize the learning time for the correction factors, a more aggressive decel-fuel cutout strategy may be employed when the conditions for learning are present and are typically learned in a single 60 to 40 MPH deceleration, but can be learned during up to 3 such decelerations, or over a higher number of shorter duration decelerations..

For Hybrid Electric Vehicles profile is learned by using the electric drive to spin the crankshaft on the first engine shutdown during which time profile is calculated.

Since inaccuracies in the wheel tooth spacing can produce a false indication of misfire, the misfire monitor is not active until the corrections are learned. In the event of battery disconnection or loss of Keep Alive Memory the correction factors are lost and must be relearned. If the software is unable to learn a profile after three 60 to 40 mph decels, a P0315 DTC is set.

Neutral Profile Correction and Non-Volatile Memory

Neutral profile learning is used at End of Line to learn profile correction via a series of one or more neutral engine rpm throttle snaps. This allows the Misfire Monitor to be activated at the Assembly Plant. A Test Tool command is required to enable this method of learning, so this method will only be performed by a Plant or Service technician. Learning profile correction factors at high-speed (3,000 rpm) neutral conditions versus during 60-40 mph decels optimizes correction factors for higher rpms where they are most needed and eliminates driveline/transmission and road noise effects. This improves signal to noise characteristics which means improved detection capability.

The profile correction factors learned at the Assembly Plant are stored into non-volatile memory. This eliminates the need for specific customer drive cycles. However, misfire profiles may need to be relearned in the Service Bay using a service procedure if major engine work is done or the PCM is replaced. (Re-learning is not required for a reflash.)

The 60-40 mph decel profile learning algorithm has been left active in the software on many applications as a backup.

a7777md

Established Member
Well not until this moment honestly i tried everything but nothing works my last option is to change the ecu

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I asked my Svt Tech friend at the Dealer About the crank re learn. He said it must be done with a clutch change and usually when hunting misfires. He gets lots of GT 500’s that need it, usually after Ind. shops try it with SCT, or HP Tuners. Using the Ford set up takes about 10 minutes. Works very well. Ford also has a pretty good data log set up. Good luck chasing it down...

Last edited:

a7777md

Established Member
I asked my Svt Tech friend at the Dealer About the crank re learn. He said it must be done with a clutch change and usually when hunting misfires. He gets lots of Gt 500’s that need it, usually after shops try it Using the Ford set up takes about 10 minutes. Works very well. Ford also has a pretty good data log set up. Gd luck chasing it down
Exactly thats what happened!
After changing the clutch i start having it .
We tried hptuners ,sct ,ford computer everything failed to fix it .

red500

Established Member
I have the same problem. cant clear P0315 after a clutch replacement.
I tried sct, hp, and forscan. No luck. I even returned the car to stock but its to modified to perform the misfire monitor with all the dtc codes in stock tune mode. So i am stuck with going to ford, or replacing the ckp sensor or pcm.

Users who are viewing this thread