crank pully question

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
ok installed 4lb. crank pully. when i got on the throttle the boost was reading good but the truck seemed to bog down instead of going faster. WTF??:dw:

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
I have a tuner from diff. truck...

... and i can't use it on mine cause the tune was on someone elses truck before. Before he sold the truck he removed the tune and crank pully back to stock. No i did not regap the plugs. Do they need to be regapped or just have a tune installed?? He never mentioned anything about the plugs. :bash:

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
What kind of tuning device....

You need to regap plugs tighter...just replace with some NGK TR6s gapped to .035

Keep doing what your doing and were gonna hear about you poppin your block....

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
oh great...

the tuner is SCT Superchips custom tuned max micro tuner. on the bottom of the box the label says 9100 SCT Ford EEC tuner. I haven't gotten on the throttle since then but will regular driving blow my eng?? and in the year that i have had the truck i have not changed the plugs. I think my buddy changed them when he owned it. Is a pain the ass to change them out?? looks kinda tight in some spots? thanks for your help:bowdown:

bgstew6

Established Member
More people will come....to help....we just dont want to see ya poppin youre block...

so is the tuning device vin locked to your truck or another truck?

I never used a 9100 SCT before so unfimiliar with them....

was/is the tune that is on the device for your truck with the mods that you put on?

CHanging plug sucks...right tools and ext will make the job easy...first time changing prob take ya bout 2 hours....

Do around 50+ like I and many others here have and you can do it in as little as 30 minutes.

Driving it around with the improperly gapped plugs and no tune is not recommended.....

RUNVS?

Established Member
I'm not familar with the SCT 9100 tuner either, but it would seem to me that if the previous owner uploaded the performance tunes back into the handheld and downloaded the stock tune back into the PCM, the handheld would no longer be "married" to his VIN number. Translation: You should be able to use the handheld and the tunes on another vehicle (ie. your truck).

That's how the SCT XCaliber and Diablo Predator work, anyway.

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
tune

the tune on the tuner will not work on mine b/c it was used on my buddies truck. when i tried to upload it, it said that the vin# did not match. i have to contact the dealer to hopefully get it changed so i can use it. All i changed out was the crank pully. same thing that my friend did to his truck. Also what specific tool(s) would be best used to change out the plugs.
I guess i should have waited till i was able to tune the truck before i change the pully, huh? I wont have the time this week to change the plugs until the weekend. Will auto zone or O'Reilys have the plugs? thanks

bgstew6

Established Member
ngk tr6 get em at Napa and advanced auto....

PLugs...

varying 3/8 drive extensions
3/8 swivel joint
3/8 ratchet
Spark plug socket

for the COil Pack screws
Varying 1/4 drive extensions
1/4 swivel socket
1/4 7mm deep socket
1/4 7mm swivel socket (this is the best tool for removing the CP scew 2nd from driver rear as it sits right under the Fuel Pressure regulator)

DIalectic Grease for the CP boots
Anti Seize for the plug threads
3/8 drive Tq wrench for torqing plugs to 13ft lbs

Patience
more patience
12pack of favorite bubbly as a reward when you are done...

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
Ok

much thanks for the info and input. I will have to make some time this weekend to change out plugs b/c i am moving into my first house on July 1st so it will be a little crazy but i will get it done. thanks again.:beer:

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
offical manual?

is there a offical lightning truck manual to buy?? i've looked online briefly for one. didnt know if there is a site to get a hold of one.

Also, The factory gap for the plugs is 0.052-0.056, per the owners manual and the gap that i was told to use for the new plugs is .035. So i guess my queston is: is the smaller gap required to create a faster spark b/c the crank pully is making more boost?

bgstew6

Established Member
the gap...for a Lightning is .042-.046 for stock boost levels...its on your radiator shrowd....

The gap for an NA 5.4 is .052-.056

for your mods it should be around .035

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I have that same hand held tuner. I picked it up really cheap from a friend, had my dyno tuner make one good solid street tune and thats what is on the truck.

Get some plugs and a tune or be prepared to go ahead and order a long block too.

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
plugs

are the NGK plugs expensive? i am planning on getting them today either way, just wanted to know. i have most of the tools. All my other tools(snap on ) are in Tx. at parents house. Doh!

bgstew6

Established Member
nope get them from napa for around 17 bucks...if you use a AAA card, then take off another 7%

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
normal driving

OK so i know i need to tune the truck and change the plugs. But will my truck be ok for another week till this weekend with normal driving conditions, no hot rodding, just driving a couple miles to work? I just dont have the time during the week. this is stressing me out and i brought it onto myself. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!:cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread