crank pulley question

Nuked

Established Member
I had a question regarding the crank pulley on my 96. It appears to have a smaller pulley of some kind behind the balancer that the serpentine belt runs on, and the larger stock looking balancer has no belt on it. Is this normal?

SQ

MouTine

Established Member
Last edited:

gsfordracing

Established Member
Or, you could have under drive pulleys installed on your car. I know the BBK under drive kit installs that way, and I am sure most of the other kits on the market do as well. What color is the area of the crank pulley where the belt makes contact? If its aluminum, then it is definitely under drive pulleys. However, there are plenty of black kits on the market as well.

Nuked

Established Member
It is definitely not the pulley coming apart. You can see the entire pulley assembly where it has another bolted to the back of it. Backside appears to be black in color, as does the water pump pulley. Any idea what brand this may be? I know the car has a few Steeda parts on it already, are thiers black?

SQ

gsfordracing

Established Member
The Steeda parts are black, however, they send you a whole new harmonic balancer assembly. So your not piecing the two together. I just installed that set on my Cobra yesterday. It looks like Summit Racing makes their own set, I know March has a black set and I think ASP does as well. I just looked at a parts retailer website and it shows a set made by BBK that are black as well. Hope that helps. I would probably almost bet that its the BBK set.

Users who are viewing this thread