Crank pulley - can't remove tribar - Need help

speedoflife

Established Member
The rubber bushings in my crank pulley are (like those on most cobras with them at this point) very worn and allow play. I've decided to tackle the removal of the crank pulley and replacement of the bushings. I actually was able to maneuver through what everyone had made out to be a nightmare: removing the lower crank pulley. Thanks to resources here, I got it off.

Now I need to remove the tribar from the pulley itself and after locking the cage in a vice, securing the pulley from rotating, and rotating that hex bolt counter clockwise I get NOTHING. I've tried heat, cheater bars, PB, an impact. Nothing works and I can't think of a way to get the new bushings in without removing that silver three-pronged piece. If anyone who has done this has advice, please chime in here. I really don't want to get an aftermarket lower, and stock replacements simply don't exist.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Contact member cj428mach (Mike Allen). He is the resident authority on lower pulley assemblies. But yes the tribar has to be removed to get at and replacing the bushings. Mike can also give you information on which bushing material to use and from where to purchase it.

speedoflife

Established Member
Contact member cj428mach (Mike Allen). He is the resident authority on lower pulley assemblies. But yes the tribar has to be removed to get at and replacing the bushings. Mike can also give you information on which bushing material to use and from where to purchase it.
I will contact him thank you.

I already have 80a material in the right size ready to be cut and pressed in. I just need to get this tribar off and I couldn't. The shop a few blocks away couldn't get it to budge either. I'm looking into used replacements now, but hopefully I can find something else to try first.

MG0h3

Established Member
I had one come apart with just the impact and just had to do three rounds of heat on another.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
hold tribar,,

Allen is reverse thread again here..

carefull on heat..threads may get taken with it..

I had to file threads on Allen bolt to get back together..

mine was so bad the post were almost broken..

I used wheel studs and steel bar and made 3 new post...

after 250k of replacing bushings,I went metco 4lb lower..

Users who are viewing this thread