Crank Case PSI

d-nice

Established Member
Does anyone know what the minimum and maximum PSI that the PVC system creates? I am looking to put a one way check valve on the passenger side valve cover to the air inlet pipe.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The PCV valve basically is a check valve. The ideal PSI is a slight vacuum which only the intake track or a vacuum pump can provide. The engine displaces the same volume of air under the pistons as above the pistons so be careful messing with the crankcase venting. I could blow-out seals or worse.

d-nice

Established Member
I'm not trying to alter anything with the pvc system but I noticed some oil in the air inlet tube and I am trying to only let the air flow in one direction into the crankcase and not out.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm not trying to alter anything with the pvc system but I noticed some oil in the air inlet tube and I am trying to only let the air flow in one direction into the crankcase and not out.

You have to purge the crankcase piston ring blow-by which is a mixture of gasoline, water, exhaust and oil vapors which will contaminate the oil, form varnish and sludge inside the engine. The PVC connected to the intake track is the only way to effectivly remove the vapor cocktail inside the engine short of a vacuum pump. Remove the source of vacuum to pull fresh air into the engine and the vapors will just loiter inside the engine.

Look into getting an oil separator spliced into the intake track tube should trap most of the oil vapor.

d-nice

Established Member
I have a oil separator on the driver side hooked into the PVC system. I didn't want to have to fab up another separator and was trying to just install a one way check valve.

metaman

Established Member
You could block off the intake pipe and run a line from the passenger side over to the line on the drivers side and t into it before the separator.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I put a homemade oil separator on the drivers side when I first bought the car, then put the JLT prefilter on. Took the homemade separator off and now I just run the prefilter. I no longer have an issue with oil in the intake.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Both valve covers need to be able to vent crankcase vapors, you do not want to block it from venting! If anything just remove the breather hose and run a small filter there, it will be fine as long as you have your other side hooked up correctly with the PCV valve.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Both valve covers need to be able to vent crankcase vapors, you do not want to block it from venting! If anything just remove the breather hose and run a small filter there, it will be fine as long as you have your other side hooked up correctly with the PCV valve.

No both valve covers don't need to breath. It's best to have air drawn "in" from on valve cover where it will purge the gas pulling it from the other valve cover purging the whole crank case. I would not mess with the stock PCV system too much.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I run a check valve in line with the PCV valve on the driver's side. The motorcraft PCV valve does not work very well as a check valve for the supercharged application. Take it off and blow into it in the reverse direction (mimicking blowing into the valve cover). You will see that it lets air through. Adding a quality check valve on the driver's side should eliminate your problem.

I run the ANDAIR check valve from Aircraft Spruce (Part # 05-00719). I took the recommendation from James @ RWTD.

There are cheaper options out there (plastic check valves) that should work but I wanted one that was proven and would last.

I have attached a picture below (sorry its blurry) showing my setup on the driver's side. The setup goes (Valve Cover --> JLT Pre-filter --> PCV Valve --> Oil Seperator --> ANDAIR Check Valve --> Rear of Intake Manifold). You want to position the ANDAIR check valve with the flow arrow pointing from the valve cover towards the rear of the intake manifold. The JLT and Oil Seperator are to prevent oil from entering the intake manifold (where it covers the intercooler and can reduce octane). I highly recommend these as well, but they do not address your specific problem, the ANDair check valve will. As a secondary measure, I also run a JLT Pre-filter on the passenger's side valve cover.
3958930143_3bb99fe0d4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread