Crank But No Start Issue

2004BlackSnake

Here's a little background on the situation...

Did a 4th gear pull in the cobra and when I left off the throttle it completely died. No hesitation, jerking, or anything, it just died. Coasted to the side of the road and still no start. So I figured it was just a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor so I swapped it out right quick but still the car still will not start. Towed the car home and started doing a little digging. I can get the car to start for a second if I spray starting fluid into the throttle body. Which shows that it is not getting any fuel but the ignition system is working. The cut off switch in the rear of the car is not tripped. So at this point I believe I must have fried the fuel pumps or something along that line. Has anyone had issues like this before? What was the outcome? Also, can someone guide me to any other tests to see if it actually is the fuel pump before I start dropping the tank? Anything will help, Thank you!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Have you checked the fuse to the fuel pumps? Can you hear the pumps prime on key on engine off? Do you have a scan tool or a hand held to check for codes? Is the fuel system stock?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Download the full service manual found above threads..
This will give you full wiring diagrams and test section on how to test pump
You can jump fuel pump at connector in rear bumper..

Just below passenger head is old school fuel disconnect..it's a white pull tab..

This will allow you to pump fuel directly into can..

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Yep. Blew a line in the tank off where the PPRV was deleted.

2004BlackSnake

Okay, so here is an update on what was causing my crank and no start. Hopefully if you are having the same issue as me this will help you out. Turns out my car kept popping fuse #34 which goes the CCRM, dash, and a few other things. So I pulled the plug at the back of the car to see if the fuel pumps may have shorted out, NOPE wasn't it, still popped the fuse. Okay, let me try the FPDM so I unplugged it and turned the key, POP. So last I pulled the passenger tire off and inner fender liner and unplugged the CCRM figuring this has GOT to be the issue. Nope, POP goes the fuse again. At this point I guessing that somewhere on this entire car their is a wire shorting out somewhere and I am going to be looking for it forever. Well I have a buddy that works at the local Ford Dealership, who works as a porter, and I asked him to talk to a technician about all my symptoms. Technician says to look on the exhaust and see if a wire maybe had dropped down and shorted to the exhaust. DUDE WAS RIGHT. My aftermarket Air/Fuel ratio wire had somehow came loose and fell on the exhaust pipe causing the wires to short out on the exhaust. So I wiggled the wires off of the pipe and she started right up. So if you just so happen the have the issue where your car will crank but not start, check the fuses and if it's fuse 34 maybe my unluckiness can help you out. I also appreciative the responses from all you guys!

Users who are viewing this thread