Crane Powermax 2031 (formally CompuCam) input

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
just picked up this cam for my '94 and is supposed to work really well with the ECU. anyone have one or has run one in the past, have any input on it? I'm going to this cam after getting frustrated with the F303 that's in my car now.

from what I have read, not only does this cam work better with our cars, it also has more low end than the F303 and is still street friendly.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I've read good things about the 2031 cam, including its reputation for being street friendly in a lightly/moderately modded car. I actually picked up a 2031 but it's still sitting in my parts room with a bunch of other stuff - I got sidetracked with other projects but it will eventually get installed.

I too read that the 2031 was designed to work in harmony with the 94/95 engine. It seemed like many people also recommended the Steeda #19 cam as well (think the 2041 was/is also popular - don't quote me on that though).

Of course many people would prefer a custom cam instead of an "off-the-shelf" (OTS) cam, but we all know that not everybody is willing (or able to) go that route.

aPicture002-6.jpg

aPicture006-4.jpg

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I ran a 2031 for a few years. IMO stick with the F cam. The 2031 sounded really cool and ran flawlessly with a stock ECU but barely made more HP than a stock GT cam with 1.7 RR's. Get you some good heads to go with that F cam and you'll really be happy.

FWIW the best I ever made with a 2031, GT-40X's, and a Tmoss lower intake was 260 RWHP and 290 torque.. a buddy of mine has an F cam on a 95 with stock heads and full bolt-ons and has 276/310...

The 2031 is an excellent power adder cam however.. on a 150 HP shot of nitrous with it I picked up 110 RWHP and 190 RWTQ..

Try a Comp XE270HR, I think you'll like it a lot over the 2031. Specs:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1060&sb=2

Last edited:

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
buddy of mine has the 270 as well and runs great in his fox but i didnt know about drive-ability issues with my ECU. for the time being, im in the market for a stick that i can bolt in and go untill i decide what i want to do with the ECU (go to A9L, etc..).... and im not going to rule out a blower in the near future :) but for the time being drive-ability is more important to me than a few more numbers on the dyno

Last edited:

svt5150

Established Member
Ive got the 2031 as well... Love it for what it is... Ive had my car since 96 and this was one of the few cams at the time that was good (Steeda 19 as also posted) I have a Saleen Intake, S trim Vortech, AFRs, etc and makes great HP... ECU friendly too.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
a buddy of mine has an F cam on a 95 with stock heads and full bolt-ons and has 276/310...

crap, I must be leaving power on the table somewhere with my setup unless your guy did his dyno in the dead of winter in Alaska or his numbers are STD instead of SAE corrected. I've got the E cam on a '95 Cobra with ported Cobra heads, TMoss Cobra lower intake and full bolt-ons, A9L with SCT tune, 275/305 on a 95+ degree day in Florida.

Last edited:

SVTCobra306

Established Member
It would have been late spring here in NC when he got his tuned, and on a dyno that's a little conservative at that (big roller dynojet). I'm pretty sure it was SAE too, not that there'd be more than a 5 hp difference at that power level between SAE and STD

The comp 270 shouldn't be too much worse driveability wise than the F cam, maybe a little jerkier down low.. then again with a competent tuner it shouldn't matter that much until you go bigger.

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
that's just it, there's not a tuner around here that i would trust with a lawnmower to be honest..... so for the time being im going to have to stick with something ECU friendly untill a tuning solution becomes available that isnt 2 hrs away

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I don't think the 270 would be that bad but you'd have to find someone who has done it. The LSA is still a 112 like the Crane, but it will definitely have more aggressive ramp rates and might buck harder down low.

The 2031 should drive the best of all of them, but it also likely makes the least power. The F cam should actually beat it for power all over the chart.. I always wanted to go from my 2031 to the F cam to pick up some hp, but I blew the motor so I went 347 :)

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
i dont blaim you for the 347 jump.... and the F-cam really performs well, especially above 3k and beyond. it loves the top end but does lack a little out of the hole even with 4.10's so im hoping to gain back the tq with the 2031 as well

Green92notch

Established Member
This is an old thread i know but, i recently just pulled out a compucam 2031 from my car after being very unhappy with the dyno results. With a trick flow street heat intake. Eddy 1.90 heads 1.7 rockers compucam 2031, and other basic bolt ons injectors, fuel pump, i had the stock clutch fan on, my car made 267hp and 301 tq. i recently purchased an f cam and im waiting to get it back on the dyno with out the clutch fan and the new cam, any ideas what i should make now?

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I'd go with a comp XE cam personally, none of the OTS cams are going to compare much to them. Best power I ever made out of a 302 was with an XE274HR but it had to have valve notches cut with AFR 165's.

Users who are viewing this thread