Crane Cam 2031 Best For 93 Cobra?

DreadedSVT

Established Member
IM PLANNING ON DOING A CAM SWAP INTO MY COBRA SOON. ON SOME OTHER MUSTANG/COBRA BOARDS I'VE HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE CRANE "2031" CAM. HOW IT WAS MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR 93 COBRA MOTORS W/1.7 RR ( DROP RIGHT IN, NO INSTALL PROBLEMS), IT SOUNDS GREAT, PASSES EMISSIONS, LITTLE DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS. ON THE OTHER HAND I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING ABOUT THE CAM ON THIS SITE. THERES ALOT OF INFO ON E-303, B-303, STEEDA, ETC. IS THERE A REASON I SHOULD STAY AWAY? OR IS IT GOOD AS EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK? JUST TRYING TO SELECT THE RIGHT CAM.

MY MODS ARE FULL EXHAUST W/ SHORTY HEADERS, 3.73'S C+L 73MM, A9L SWAP ON AN OTHERWISE STOCK 65,000 MILE MOTOR. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Go with an anderson ford motorsport cam. I'm sure you can find one that works with 1.7's on there. I'm about to have the N-412 for 1.6's put in mine. It's their smallest cam at .512 int/exh lift but it's going in my daily driver so it oughtta be more then enough.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I have heard nothing bad about the 2031, although it is an older cam design. In fact, it was released just a year or so after the 93 Cobra was released.

FWIW, if I ever go with another cam, I'll go with a custom cam.

TheWhiteSNAKE

Nah bro, the crane 2031 is one of the best if not the best cam for 93-95 cobras. It is made for our cars and it is $239.00 for the package at summitt. I would get the 2031 or the crower 1511. Good luck to you either way.

DreadedSVT

Established Member
THANKS FOR THE REPLY WHITESNAKE. I HAVE BEEN LEANING TOWARDS THAT CAM. THE PRICE IS GOOD, I DONT WANT TOO RADICAL OF A CAM (EMISSIONS), BUT I WANT A NICE SOUND AT IDLE. I THINK THE 2031 SHOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE, JUST DOUBLE CHECKING. THANKS AGAIN:beer:

TheWhiteSNAKE

No problem bro just pm me and let me know how it turns out. Good luck and great choice. You did your homework and I give you an A.

cobra93

Established Member
The Crane 2031 will wake up your Cobra for sure, but there are better choices out there. The 2031 was one of the first major mods I did to mine. You will want to upgrade the factory valve springs with any cam change on the Cobra. The factory springs are marginal with the stock cam.

An example of what I mean by better choices is many years ago, I replaced the 2031 with a AFM cam (the N-2 in those days) and we measured almost a 17 rwhp difference at the top of the tach (6,000 in this case). This particular cam revved noticeably faster than the 2031 and sounded good too.

Just my thoughts. What ever you decide, you will be happy with the racier idle and extra power.

DreadedSVT

Established Member
Thanks again For all your info,

I Called Crane about the 2031. I was hearing things about longer pushrods and they agreed. My problem is that i will be doing the cam swap over the weekend @ my work. It has to be out for Monday Morning so I cant really wait to find out the correct size etc. Im starting to look towards a comp cam (xe270h-12). It all started out as a simple cam swap, things never end up simple.:-D

trey193

Established Member
Crower15511 flat works in these cars, my good friend had the 511 with intouched heads, untouched Cobra Intake, just added good valve springs when he did the cam swap, at full weight on drag radials his car went 12.50's @ 111 he had the cam and all the other small bolt ons, (A9L, Pro-M, 3.55's, Full Exhaust,) I had a similar setup with my car except I ran the E cam and went 12.80's @ 108, any cam will wake these cars up, my advise would be the Crower !!!!!

DreadedSVT

Established Member
WELL... TO UPDATE WHATS BEEN GOING ON. I DECIDED TO GO WITH THE COMP CAM XE270HR-12 CAMSHAFT. I DIDNT WANT TO PULL THE HEADS WITH COMP DUAL SPRINGS, SO I WENT WITH CRANE CAMS VALVE SPRINGS. THIS CAM SHOULD BE A STEP UP FROM THE 2031 CAM. IM A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT PISTON TO VALVE CLEARANCE, SO I WILL BE CHECKING THAT. THE MACHINE SHOP DOESNT SEE WHY THERE WILL BE A CLEARANCE ISSUE, BUT IM CHECKING ANYWAY. IM GONNA DO THE WEAK SPRING METHOD, REPLACE A SPRING WITH A VERY WEAK COIL SPRING. ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED, THANKS GUYS, WISH ME LUCK!

DreadedSVT

Established Member
FINALLY! THE CAM'S IN AND THE CAR'S UP AND RUNNING. WOW! IT SOUNDS GREAT! IT TOOK ALL OF THIS WEEK THOUGH. (IM LUCKY TO WORK AT A DEALER SO IT WAS ALL DONE IN HOUSE @ SERVICE. I WORK NEXT DOOR IN THE BODY SHOP). COMP CAMS DEF. MAKES A GOOD CAM. IM HAVING A COUPLE OF IDLING ISSUES BUT THE MORE I DRIVE IT THE BETTER IT GETS. I THINK I NEED A ADJ. FUEL PRESSURE REG. AND BIGGER FUEL PUMP, BECAUSE IT PULLS LIKE A MOTHER @ 3/4 THROTTLE BUT AT FULL IT SEEMS TO LOSE ALOT. HOPEFULLY I'LL GET ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT. ILL POST A SOUND CLIP OF IT (XE270HR-12). I WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE WHO POSTED YOU WERE ALL A BIG HELP!
:rockon:

rikhockey

Established Member
hey guys. dreadersvt i would like to heard a sound clip of ur cam. i have a little problem myself i just bought a 93 cobra red 75,000 miles great condition. i am the 4th owner and the last owner was one of my best friend dads cars he did a few mods to the car and it sounds great but i have always thought it had a cam in it but i do not know for sure, a few people say it sounds like a b cam?? not to sure not real familure with cams. is there anyway to know for sure if i have one or not or could someone post a sound clip of there 93 i would greatly appreciate it thanks guys erick

Users who are viewing this thread