Cramped 4.6

RareYellowAsp

Established Member
Can anyone offer any tips on removing the two bolts from the passenger-side exhaust manifold to the H-pipe. I'm trying to replace my H-pipe, and I swear you have to have tiny hands or know a secret password to get to it. :mj:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
ahh i remember trying to do that.. its very aggrivating.

What i used was a socket wrench, long extensions and a swivel socket so you could work around the corners

MAXX RS4

Established Member
I snapped 2 swivels on that thing. Snap on and craftsman, too!

I gave up after losing about 3qts of blood through my knuckles and more than enough rust in my eyes.. I went to a shop and they actually had to torch 'em off. :shrug:

Have fun!

coolguy10786

Established Member
Use penetrating oil, swival sockets, extensions, and air ratchet. Pain in the ass, be the penetrating oil really helps

MAXX RS4

Established Member
coolguy10786 said:
Use penetrating oil, swival sockets, extensions, and air ratchet. Pain in the ass, be the penetrating oil really helps

I used about a whole can of PB blaster on those things for more than 36 hours.. The air ratchet is what sent my hands and body into the wall. Those things wouldn't budge.

But, most people get them with determination!

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
Black96SVT said:
ahh i remember trying to do that.. its very aggrivating.

What i used was a socket wrench, long extensions and a swivel socket so you could work around the corners

This is how i did mine... I think i used two extensions and a swivel socket... It's not fun but mine came off pretty easy! Have fun! :beer:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Nice to know. I'll be doing this in the next week or two. Sounds like it's even more difficult than it was on my old 5.0.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You actually don't need a swivel. I can manage to massage a deepwell onto it and get a single 1/4" extension on that. Throw a breaker bar into the mix and it's not that difficult... Just have to get enough leverage on it.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
watched dude do mine and he used ONE LOOOOONG ass ratchet piece. I mean this thing was like 2 feet long. He just did it standing under the car.

RareYellowAsp

Established Member
"Hooray, I got it off." After repeatedly being soaked with PB-Blaster, using swivels and heat, I had gotten nowhere. Desperation sat in, and I pulled out the air chisel. Lo and behold, I started wailing on it with that chisel and the friggin' bolt broke free. After that, the rest was easy. Thanks for all the advice though.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I spent 2 hours on that bitch at least. lol. I ended up just using a big-ass 3/8" drive impact to crank it off.

Users who are viewing this thread